Sunday, June 8, 2014

Educating Others...

No - this is not a statement about school education.  Today's blog is about how people need to open their minds and quit looking down a tunnel.

Someone decided to have a meeting and arranged to have coffee and donuts.  No one thought about bringing any fresh fruit, which could have been gotten from any grocery store.    All I could think of was being told how I never thought about the vegetarians in our group when I made food orders about 10 years ago.  Here, the same person was getting donuts and not thinking about those who might have rather had something a bit healthier.  I get that the cost for donuts is cheap, but it would be nice to have something more substantial than donuts to be offered in the mornings.  

Another day, I had dinner out with a friend.  Same friend has type 2 diabetes as I do.  Again, I was presented with another lesson regarding education.  The following day, this friend would need to get blood drawn for her A1C test.  When she asks about dessert, I figure I am fine with a few bites of something sweet.  She changes her mind with this excuse:  I do not want it to affect my A1C.  

Seriously, this friend has had Type 2 diabetes for several years, but refuses to take the education classes.  I looked my friend straight in the eye and said:

Really?!  Eating this dessert is not going to alter the A1C result because A1C is a measure of the sugar molecules stuck to the blood cells for the past 90 days.  Eating dessert is not going to change that number tomorrow.  Changing your eating habits for the next 90 days, that WILL change that number.  The best you are going to do is make sure that your blood sugar tomorrow will be a lower number, but it is not going to make a difference in your A1C.

I was angry that this person goes about acting like a "know-it-all" and how stupid I am, then does this.  I am tired of excuses like I do not have time for the education class.  I figure that the next time this issue is raised, I will make it a point to say, "Let's go together."  It would not hurt me to have a refresher.  For this person, to have this disease and act like a know-it-all and be completely wrong on all points, that is just stupid.

I am not perfect.  I do not assume to be perfect, either.  I just work hard at making the best decisions I can.  If I eat improperly, that is on ME and no one else.  It is my choice.  It is not my friends responsibility or even the wait staff's responsibility to make sure I eat properly.  I do not go around announcing I have Type 2 diabetes because I do not feel it is someone else's job to take care I handle my disease.  It is called being accountable for yourself.

This friend and I did have the same GP.  Since the incident with my blood urine numbers and how my GP refused to arrange a meeting, I have decided that this new GP needs to be weeded out.  Now, hearing that the GP has told patients to go to LabCorp for their bloodwork needs, this GP is purely lazy and that is not a good thing.  I do not want to hear about ObamaCare - that is just an excuse.  With my next visit to the endo, I am going to obtain a list of new physicians who can be my new GP.  She was dumping all meds and such over on my endo and why the endo was not taking care of it.  I started with the previous GB on these meds.  Apparently, she does not want to handle it.  No problem - I do not have time for some GP who will not scare me about my health and make no effort to contact me herself.  I am good with that.

So, I apparently have a lot of negativity in my system.  I just felt that it was sad how the situations were disrespectful.  Make matters worse, no one wants to change.  I want it to change, but sometimes you cannot move a mountain by yourself.  You need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment