Sunday, October 27, 2013

Losing Those Who Influence You...

I like to tell everyone that where I got my eclectic music tastes started on a trip from Tulsa, OK to Boston, MA.  My father's company sent him to Boston for a 3 month set of courses and the company paid for the family to stay in an "apartment" in Framingham.  We traveled for 3 to 4 days.  I just remembered it was a long time. 

It is the very early '70s and my father's Ford truck had an 8-track tape player.  We all know, there are those areas where you cannot get any radio reception.  My parents had Sam the Sham and the Pharohs, Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits, The Doors - LA Woman, and some others.  Also, my mother was a huge rock and blues fan while my father was into country music.  I was never fond of country, but I loved music.

One of the songs that made an influence on me was Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side."  At that age, I did not understand the lyrics, but love the song.  The song had a really catchy beat and I loved to hear it when it was on the radio. 

I did not get that much into Lou Reed or the Velvet Underground until recent years.  I knew the influence that Lou's work had on artists like David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, and so many others.  I had a great respect - he rated up there with the Rolling Stones and Elvis.

Today, Lou Reed passed away.  It is such a very sad day, but I am sure he is enjoying that walk on the other side. 

If you have never heard it, here is the song that would stay with me all of these years:

RIP Lou Reed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KaWSOlASWc

No comments:

Post a Comment