Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summer in Texas...

One thing I have learned in the 36 years I have lived in Texas is that the summers here are brutal.  When I lived in Louisiana, I do not remember summer being so hot and humid.  Then, again, I spent my summer either at the pool or outside playing with friends.  I will say, at some point, I would stay up all night while my mother stayed up reading her books while my father was out of town, so I probably slept through a lot of days.

Not sure where I can begin to even get adjusted to the hot weather.  I just returned from walking my dogs and when I got back to the apartment, the back of my head is soaking wet.  I have already started sweating and I was not even really exercising briskly or hard.  I expect this sort of thing when I have been busting my butt doing strength training or really doing some brisk walking.

I will take baths and get all cleaned up, only to have to get all sweaty and nasty again.  I will admit, I do enjoy the feeling after a cool shower.  I feel completely refreshed and when I go to bed, I sleep really well.  Still, I hate being all sticky and smelly - even though I did take a bath that day.

I wonder what I can do to get better adjusted or is this just how it is going to be.  The one thing I know I avoid doing is walking around the neighborhood in the middle of the day.  I did that a few times before I injured by back area and when I got back to my desk, I was simply pouring in sweat.  Yuck.

I think that today, around 6 PM and taking into consideration where I am with my laundry and cleaning duties, I will make an effort to walk at least a mile around the neighborhood - without the dogs.  If I can do some cardio, then that will be all the better for my body.  I have to at least try.

I just need to make sure to carry water with me.  I have a water bottle carrier that I can strap on myself and that should keep my hands free.  Whenever I walk, I like keeping my hands free of anything.

So, my friends may think I am a candya$$ for complaining about the heat, but I am okay with that.  I do not have to care for it.  However, I feel I need to be better adjusted to it for my own health.

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

At any moment, you can choose peace.

You can choose inner peace, you can choose peace between friends, you can choose peace between enemies, and you can choose peace on the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment