Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Great Ideas, but Never Execute...

This weekend, I will be trying to pull in more classmates to sign up for the 30th high school reunion.  I have consistently put off creating what I call the "Reunion Sign Up" sheet.  I want to make sure I get the latest personal contact information from those who sign up and pay to attend in person.  I finally sat down and made out the form.  I wanted the top part to be the area where the classmate updates personal information for reaching them.  The bottom part serves as a receipt for the classmate to keep.  

In our haste to put together this reunion, I feel we have forgotten the small things, such as providing a receipt.  People want something in return - notification that their money was received or some sort of ticket indicating that they have entry into the event.  I realized that from a few classmates asking me directly if I had gotten their payment.  Someone else was taking the payments, but nothing was getting back to those classmates that had paid.  I have done some quick and dirty things to let them know that their payment was received.

I am off this week from work, but have not accomplished anything in the area of cleaning.  I feel awful about that.  Each day, I have had something I needed to do.  I saw the endo for my 3 month check up on my diabetes, then today, I saw the ob-gyn for my yearly deal.  Tomorrow, I take Chloe to the vet to have her ears checked to make sure that she has no inner-ear infection.  I noticed that she wants her ears rubbed or she will scratch at her ears.  I know that they are clean, but her hearing has been severely affected.  

In the end, I have let other things worry me and I am not focusing on the initial plan for this week off from work.  I have managed to do a few things, like get the dishes cleared away, do some laundry, get trash out the door.  Still, I need to really sit down and go through things and make that tough decision - Do I keep this?  What does this item bring to me?  Is it worth keeping?

I look around and see tons of paper.  Mainly, it is either AMEX or other credit card offers - I really need another credit card like I need a hole in the head.  Not necessary - please, go away!  I am going to sign up for my balance statements to come to me via email.  Not only am I ridding myself of yet another piece of paper, I get $5.00 for doing it.  No brainer!

I am also thinking of moving my bills to be delivered to me in email form as well.  Makes no sense for this much paper to come into my home that has to be shredded.  At least, I can create rules for my email programs, then I can put the bills into their own individual folders.

Sometimes, I feel that what also stops me from clearing my clutter is that I can be too organized.  Is that even possible?  I actually think so.  I have this obsessive/compulsive manner where if I can get everything into where I think it should go, I figure it should be a no brainer to get done.  However, I look at the daunting task at hand and I procrastinate.  I should not be doing that.  

Just like my getting back on the horse with my cardio.  Sure, I had back problems in June, but I had fell off the cardio wagon before that time.  I was trying to figure out where to fit it in, but I would get tired or needed to do something else for someone.  Life became a bit nutty and why?  I am not even sure.

Now, I am trying all of this again.  I have incorporated OneNote over the web to help keep the reunion committee with information that they need.  Seems that some people never go back through their emails, so there needed to be a central point for that.  OneNote seemed like a great idea.  I am also creating my programming/mathematics refresher using a personal OneNote notebook that I can access.  If I need a break from whatever I am doing, I can go read on a problem or some notes, then work on that.  Also, I am trying to work into my routine to walk and make sure I get my steps in each day. 

Refreshing my mind and getting healthy is very important to me.  My trainer wants this group of sessions to focus not only on getting back on the cardio wagon, but also, do the food logging.  Make myself accountable for what I am eating.  This should help me eat better.

I will provide a progress report later in the week on what I have accomplished.  I do feel pretty good that I was able to create the sign up form.  Tomorrow, I will print out about 100 pages and put it in a folder, ready to be used this weekend.  I hope many people will come out to get their payment in for the reunion.  I think the next thing to do is create a MySQL DB and put in all of the classmate information.  That way, I can hand off the updated information to someone easily - better than sending out PDF files.

See - my mind just goes 90 to nothing with stuff that should be done.  I wish I could quiet my mind down a bit.  I am just too much of a nerd for my own damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment