Sunday, August 24, 2014

Interesting Views...

The past several weeks have left me with tears and no words to truly express myself.  There is so much sadness going around and it just seems to double.  One friend had to remind me that in many cases, there is just not anything one person can do.

I have begun to see where I need to pull away from Facebook more and more.  Sometimes, the people you *think* are your friends, really are not.  The drama caused is tremendous.  I am not saying I would completely drop being on Facebook, but at some point, I had to look at what it was doing to me emotionally.  After the high school reunion, I will be considerably pulling back from it. 

Upon hearing of Robin Williams' death and his recent diagnosis of Parkinson's, I felt so much sadness.  It was as if I had lost that friend who always knew how to touch me to make me smile, laugh, think, and cry.  I feel that this amazing person with such a special gift was also fraught with a torture in his own life.  How I wish all of us that loved him would have been able to make him laugh, smile, think, and cry the way he had done for us.  

ISIS - could anything be any closer to an updated version of the Spanish Inquisition (and not the funny one.)?  I sit and wonder how is it that we live in this world with such a rich history of atrocities committed over the centuries and still, it continues?  Men, women, and children are beheaded for their religious beliefs.  

As I read, there are many on a mountain top and ISIS is on the attack.  I pondered to a friend about if there was a way to save those people.  The response I got was profound - If we did that, what happens to the other 3 million people?  The truth of the matter is that as a single person, it is a battle we cannot win.  We are dealing with unreasonable bullies (that description is only putting it lightly).  It is very apparent that ISIS has major financial backing from some group.  As Eddie Izzard put it so well regarding those that murder in large numbers, governments simply cannot wrap their heads around that.  It is difficult to fathom how people can be so callous towards others.  Then, again...

I spent some time trying to understand cultural differences.  I came to find that in our country, racism and discrimination are highly non tolerated subjects, but are common place in other countries.  I had someone attempt to, how should I say, assert themselves as a higher class than myself recently.  In the end, I stood up and asserted myself as an equal.  I was not going to tolerate that behavior.  I found the fact that this person had the gall to do that astounding.  It has happened to me in the past.  This time, I was not going to just let it slide.  

The incident in Ferguson - only the dead boy and the officer know the truth of what happened that night.  I will say this much, no matter your race, sex, or belief, if  police officer tells you to stop, just drop to the ground.  The police go through a lot with criminals.  I do not believe all officers are angels and neither are all suspects.  If you want to get through that mess alive, just stop, drop, and spread eagle.  

By the way, looting is never acceptable.  I do not care if there is a hurricane or there is a protest.  Looting is wrong, wrong, wrong!  It only reinforces the idea of horribly educated people.  Most people are smarter than that.

I think, for right now, I need to concentrate on my own life for a bit.  There are some things that I need to pay attention to and get back on the right track.  Most of the above, I cannot do anything.  I can give money, support, but will the right people take care of it?  Never know.  However, I can do what I can to protect myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment