Sunday, August 31, 2014

Incorporating Changes That Others Do Not Like...

For as long as I have had Bo and Chloe together, I have to deal with the "Food Struggle."  The first part of "Food Struggle" was that Bo and Chloe have to eat separate food.  Well, now, both dogs are supposed to eat the same food, but Bo has a powder he must have added in order to absorb the nutrients.  The problem here is that neither dog wants to eat their "own" food.  Sure, make them eat in separate rooms, but that never works.  A lot of whining goes on with being separated from me, so that does not work.

The second part of "Food Struggle" is I used to leave the food on the floor so that Bo could "graze".  Well, he has become a little pig.  If I am out of the room, he will eat all of Chloe's food and leave his alone.  In the end, I have to deal with stomach problems - not pretty.

The third part of "Food Struggle" is when I try to eat.  No matter what, I get no breaks from the "staring eyes" or the downright bullying barking.  Lately, the only time I get peace when I eat is if I am at work or eating out.  It is annoying.

I have gotten to the point where I sit the food on the floor then set the timer for 10 minutes.  Both dogs have 10 minute to eat their own food.  I sit here and do whatever, read, surf the internet, listen to the radio, or watch TV.  Once the timer goes off, up goes the food.  Too bad.  I feel that this has had a good effect on Bo in that the tummy problems and pigging out has stopped.  

As for my eating and their begging, I will just have to get mean and continue to ignore it.  My mother for years fed Chloe table food and it would always mess up her system.  Now, Chloe has a diseased gall bladder.  I am not blaming my mother, but it was something I refused to do with Bo.  When I got Chloe, she weighed 25 lbs.  That was pretty overweight for that little dog.  My mom could not get Chloe the exercise she needed as my mom was dying and pretty much bed ridden.  My father did not have the time.

Once my mother decided I needed to take care of Chloe, her gall bladder was already a mess.  I got her to start eating dog food and the only time she got table food was when she saw my mother.  I could never break my mom of the habit.  However, the vet was extremely pleased I was able to get 8 lbs off of Chloe.  I chalked all of that to the fact that Chloe had dog food, had to be walked with Bo about 4 times a day @ 30 minutes each outing, and she climbed the stairs.

So, rather than start that downhill business with Bo, I keep table food from him.  However, the whole "who is Alpha" cause a bit of headache.  

I will say, I do allow for a few things to give to them.  I will give both dogs pizza crust, rolls, bread, and french fries, but I do not give it to them in mass amounts.  It is a "treat."

I suppose I will just have to sit back and concentrate further on the barking and demanding when I eat my dinner.  That will take more time and I need to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment