Monday, August 25, 2014

Health Update...

Only time will tell...

I could never get myself back on the wagon for whatever reasons.  After getting on the scale and reading 294.4, 10 lbs more than last weigh-in, I decided it was time to get serious.

Now, I am not in this to have a model's body.  Honestly, that is simply NOT possible.  The realistic view is that I need to lose weight to get my blood sugar and pressure down to some healthy values.  Being a bit physically stronger always helps as does being able to fit into smaller jeans.

My trainer has told me several times that you may not lose any weight, but you should always measure yourself.  Your body does change.  Muscle does weigh more than fat.  You should feel more energized (although, with this Texas heat, that part gets sucked down faster than you can imagine!).  So, rather than get down in the dumps because you have not lost any weight, look at your measurements.

For me, I know it was not muscle gain.  My back issues have not made strength training much better.  I can do for a bit, then I get a pinching pain in my lower back, but not in the same area as in June.

So, I spent Sunday doing grocery shopping and making sure I got plenty of fruits and veggies.  That piece is very important.  I have kept in mind that I need to have a proper combination of protein, non-starchy veggies, starchy veggies/grains, and fruit.  I have also gone back to doing the 2 week on and off of drinking hunger shakes for breakfast and lunch.  This way, I can focus on eating healthy snacks.  

Like a junkie getting off of whatever drug, it is going to be a tough couple of days.  I know how I am and it will take a lot of hard decisions to be made to stay on the straight and narrow.  I have already decided to curb the amount of times I get something out to eat.  It is probably better for me to fix healthy meals that can be used a couple of more times during the week.  This weekend, even though it is not the best, I will make jambalaya and shrimp gumbo.  While both are not the best health wise, the best part is that both taste better each subsequent day.  Having that with a salad is not as bad as having Tex-Mex.  :-)

Now, need to see how far I can go in the area of losing weight.

1 comment: