Sunday, October 2, 2016

First World Problem: iPhone 5S is Falling Apart...

When discussing the iPhone 7 with some friends, I was asked if I would be getting it.  Originally, I said, "Nah - I don't have the money to really spend for it."  Used to be, you could get the phone at a lower price with a 2-year contract.  Now, there are no such contracts like that.  One must pay so much a month for the phone.  I don't like that, but here we are.

For the past few months, my iPhone 5S has a problem with being able to hold a charge on its own.  I have to make sure that my mophie case is completely charged.  Once the mophie loses its charge, the battery on the iPhone may show 60%, but all of a sudden, the phone will shut down and when you try to turn it back on, it will display the battery with a small red streak and tell you to connect to power.  It is very annoying to say the least.

One of my resolutions was to move my apps and such over to an iPod Touch.  That has been working out really well.  I use the iPhone for some texting, but mainly for phone calls.  I try to stay off of it with FB and other apps.

This week, I started noticing that there was a light coming from the edge.  Also, if I pressed down on the screen, it was acting funny.  Upon closer inspection, the iPhone screen is detaching itself from the phone.  I thought - seriously?  Have I really been THAT abusive to the phone?  I mean, the phone is in a mophie case and it does not allow for any bending.  I rarely remove the phone from the case.

Point blank - the phone is breaking.  How odd?!

Considering Chloe's issues today, I have stayed home and not done the shopping I should have done.  Also, I have a prescription that I need to get refilled.  I needed to do that, but it is too late at this point.  I will deal with the prescription business tomorrow.

I did look into getting an iPhone 7.  It will increase my current payment, but not by a whole lot.  I may run by a store some time this week.  Actually, I will probably wait until I get paid this week, get the budget worked out, then from there, see what I can do.  I know I have t pay for installation fees and such, so if upgrading will cost about $50, that should not be too bad.

While I fully admit to being a tech junkie, I have gotten a bit better about not having to have the latest tech gadgets as they are released.  Technically, I should only be keeping a computer for 2-3 years.  However, most of my systems that I have are much older than that.  I still have the Toshiba laptop I bought 10 years ago this month, as a matter of fact.  It still works great, too.

However, the cost of such "nice to haves" is so much that I want to make sure I get my money's worth out of them.  For example, when I bought my father a 3-D Smart TV in 2012, I considered getting a new TV myself.  The problem was that my current Sony Bravia I got in 2007 was still working perfectly.  I have no complaints - it is 1080p.  So what if it does not have 3-D?  Do I really need it?  Nah.  Would it be nice to have?  Sure, but what would I do with my current TV?  So, I won't get a new TV anytime soon.  I might if I were to move into a house.  However, that makes sense to get a 65" TV for a larger room.  I could always put my current TV elsewhere and it would still be used.

Everyone is different, I suppose.  I hate having to get another phone.  However, I cannot believe that my current phone is just falling apart.  I suppose the product composition quality is not that great.  It was the only one iPhone 5S I have had the entire time.  Before that, I had an iPhone 3S.  It took me a while before I switched over to the iPhone.  I will say this much - I won't get a Samsung.  I got one for a company phone and I do not care for it too much.  

Next week, we will see if I make it to the store to get a new phone.  Or will I talk myself out of it?  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment