Sunday, October 2, 2016

Poochie Worries...

This weekend - on one hand, I have been somewhat productive in that I got dishes washed, made a pitcher of iced tea, cooked, and gotten some laundry done.  On the other hand, I spent most of the weekend in bed snoozing with the dogs.  Yesterday was a complete time waste.

Today, after the morning rituals with the dogs, I packed them in the car for a ride to Starbucks.  I needed a Pumpkin Spice Latte fix along with an Egg McMuffin for breakfast.  Granted, not the best thing for me to eat for breakfast, but I needed that out of my system.

When I got home, I ate my breakfast while the dogs found their normal spots.  I made out my shopping list and was trying to determine how to get it all done today.  My back is not cooperating again today, so I decided I would lie down for a bit.  Bo was quite eager to join me, but Chloe remained sleeping in the bathroom door way.  I might have let her stay there, but I know how she is - if you are in bed without her, she will pitch a fit.

As I put her in bed, I felt something wet.  I even stepped in something wet, which was very unusual.  There were little piddle areas around the bed where she had walked around.  I checked the bed - there were quite a few very damp areas on the bed.  Luckily, none of that soaked through to the mattress.  Something is not right with my old girl.

Rather than get upset, I remembered I had purchased some female incontinence wraps for her.  At the time, she peed in my bedroom because I was not getting myself together fast enough for her.  That was a few years ago.  I thought of getting that because Bo still has to wear a belly band.  (Generally speaking, when he has to go, he will let you know.  However, when you leave the house, he either gets that pissed off or anxiety hits him and he pees.  I think it is a male dog thing.)

I got her the wrap along with a pad and put it on her.  I removed the bedding that needed to be washed and put on some towels and another blanket.  I am very concerned for her because quite honestly Chloe never has accidents in the house.  She could have diarrhea and she would do her best to hold it and let you know she needed to go.  That is why when those days happen, I turn down offers to go out or break plans to do stuff.  She has always been so good about that and I know how I would feel in her position if I left her by herself and she was not feeling well.  As I always say, I am an asshole, but I try hard not to be one of those pet owner assholes.  I care about my pets because they are probably the only children I will ever have.  Chloe - my mother entrusted her care in my hands and I made the promise to take very good care of her.  I do my very best to uphold that commitment.

I sent an email to my vet describing the situation and also chatted a bit with the vet tech that works closely with my vet.  I had already decided I needed to take Chloe in for a recheck on her ribs and such.  The vet tech stated that there were medications to help with incontinence for pets, so it is probably simply old age.  How well I know - I have my own issues from time to time.  So, I laid down with Chloe and told her it would be okay.  We all have to live with things that no one speaks.

Before I took the dogs back out, the pad and the wrap were soaked.  I figured they might be, so the pad went into the trash and the wrap goes into the wash.  People in Target or CVS probably think I am weird, but I have to buy the extra absorbent Poises pads for Bo.  What the pet store provides is very similar to women's feminine napkins - regular.  Bo can drench one of those, so my mother at the time suggested getting the super sized Poises.  I would say that 99% of the time, Bo will fill it up.  There are some times that he will overflow the pad, then I look at how much he is drinking.  So, I used one of Bo's pads to put in Chloe's wrap.  She gave me this rather sad look and I gently petted her and said "Don't worry - this is only temporary and besides, it is no big deal.  You are still the best girl ever."

...and she is.

So, later in the week, I will be taking Chloe to the vet for a check up.  At that time, we shall see how everything holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment