Thursday, August 18, 2011

Got the baseline - now to work on the changes

Yesterday morning, I got the call from my doctor's office with an update on my blood work results.  Going in, I knew the numbers would be bad.  I was not too disappointed with the 179 fasting blood sugar.  In the past, I have seen that number at 350, so I have that number a positive spin.

My a1c, on the other hand, indicated some serious issues.  It was 12.  The doctor's nurse indicated that my diabetes had really gone out of control and if I continue down this route, I will end up with kidney shutdown.  I had expected a high number, but not 12.  I stammered a lot on the phone when asking about the other meds I am taking and how to go about getting the refills.  The number weighed heavily on my mind.  12.

I went out to eat with a co-worker from out of town for lunch.  I ate the salad and had artichoke chicken with capers.  I did not eat all of the salad nor did I eat all of the pasta on the plate.  Pat on the back for me for that.  I have been carrying around a lunch bag with snacks like grapes, melons and strawberries, sugar free jello, cheese and crackers, and the like.  Things I know will help me stay on track.

For dinner, I blew it a bit.  However, I will get back on track today.  Today is the last day for class, so I won't need to "go out to eat" tonight.  I have enjoyed getting to meet and know this co-worker, but it is time for me to get back onto taking care of me.

I am going to ask my father if he would take care of Bo and Chloe one more day.  After work tomorrow, I will head over to his house and spend the night.  On Saturday, I will tote the "kiddos" home.  I know those little dogs miss me, but for the past few nights, I have been going to bed between 9:30 - 10:00 AM and getting up at 4:30-5:00 AM.  That is very odd of me, but I have ignored the pager and just tried to get some restful sleep.  When I get the dogs back, that will not be the case.

The main reason for my wanting an extra day is to get my medications.  I hate to drive all the way over there, drive all the way back for work the next day and not get my meds.  I figured it would be easier to just come home, pick up the meds on my way home, get some housework done, and go to bed early.  On Friday, after work, just head over to my father's house.  I could spend the night, then pack everyone up and head home that morning.

I hate leaving Bo and Chloe there longer, but the gas prices are so high and it is such a pain to drive back and forth.

Time to get ready for work:

Morning:

BS:  243
BP:  132/82
Pul: 81

No comments:

Post a Comment