Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Re-evaluating various situations...

Chaos has become a way of life.  My apartment looks like something from "Hoarders" or "Clean House".  Work seems to be unrelentless.  Of course, my health is taking some pretty hard hits.

In late August, I took a trip to Bowling Green, KY to see my aunt.  I went with my father and his girlfriend.  The night before the trip, I was up all night writing up documentation and such for the team to follow.  I had no real idea of my ability to be "accessible" to work while I was on vacation.

I spent the car trip between DFW and Memphis, TN sleeping in a cramped car.  Needless to say, my feet and ankles were already swollen and it was not very comfortable.  Luckily, I did not experience that "restless leg" syndrome I tend to get from time to time.  I was worried about that.

My blood sugar for a few weeks had been between 250 and 300.  This is not good and I was doing all I could to eat right. By the time I got to Bowling Green, KY and was in the condo, my blood sugar started taking a dive.  Day by day, the morning numbers would be lower than I had ever experienced.  One day, my blood sugar was 96.  NEVER, EVER in the 6 years of dealing with this disease had I been able to achieve that.

Granted, I still had to answer to work issues (yes, even though I was on vacation.) and deal with the minor annoyances that happen on trips, my blood sugar stayed low.  It had to be stress. 

Unfortunately, when I went on a short trip to New Orleans, I did not experience that low blood sugar, but I had a great time all the same.  I ate and drank items that were bad for me.

After that trip, work became all consuming.  I really do not have the time I should have.  So, I have to grapple with figuring out some middle ground.  We all have to work to live, but we should never live to work.  There is more to life than babysitting some process.

The other part of this puzzle is determining how to flush out the chaos in my apartment.  One thing is to stop the shopaholic tendencies I have.  I get depressed, so if I am not eating, then I go out shopping.  That has to end.  That contributes to a lot of the clutter I have.  More importantly, I need to ditch the current clutter.

My high school friend, Cathy, had posted a message regarding a book about achieving simple living.  Basically, the mindset of how to purge and achieve simple living that allow you more time for yourself.  Oddly enough, I was able to download these two books on the Kindle - there is the first start.  LOL  I am trying to read a little bit each night, even though I am doing that evil on-call duty this week.  I want to be able to purge things from my life to bring more clarity.

I hope to work together with Cathy on the crash course book that the author wrote.  Maybe that will help me to see more clearly on getting past all of this and regain some control over my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment