Saturday, November 10, 2012

Help - What to do when you get the wrong kind?

No, this is not a conversation on how to avoid the wrong kind of help.  It is a discussion on accepting help and constantly getting the wrong kind.  You know the kind - you were probably better off doing it by yourself than having others help.  I get this sort of help all of the time.

It is bad enough I struggle letting go enough to allow someone to help, but it is quite a different thing when the help you get makes a lot of mistakes.  My immediate reaction is "Why did I ask for help?"  For the most part, the work is obviously overwhelming and would take more time if I do it by myself.  If I have help, then it should take less time.  It always does.  However, what seems to happen is that there is always some fall out and I spend even more time on resolving that than I do if I had done the job myself.

It is purely human error.  However, from my point of view, the environment simply cannot deal with human error.  When I discover it is human error, there is always a huge debate as to why it happened.  Apparently, no one thinks about the old saying "Stuff happens".  I try to manage it, but I also see the other side in that it takes time to discover human error.  That is the part that is most precious.  When it happens to others, the issue is brushed aside, but when I experience it, parties are aghast and want to know why it happened.

My past endeavors of getting help have persuaded me to do one of two things:  1) Automate or 2) Do it by myself.  That means no acceptance of no help.  Not really the way I should be, but it is frustrating.

I think it is time to hit Amazon.com for some more self-help books.  :-)  This is and will always be an issue I will struggle with getting a handle.

On another subject, today's "Message from God.":

On this day of your life, we believe God wants you to know ... that when you pursue your dreams, every second is an encounter with God.
Following your dreams opens your heart allowing God to enter and fill you with bliss.
 
 I need to really think about what it is I want out of life.  I want to be creative, live life to its fullest, and be successful at it all.  Tall order, I know.  However, I am in awe of the simple things in life.  I get a huge thrill out of doing something by myself and doing it right.  Even if I do it wrong, I gain knowledge in learning from my mistakes.  However, what really are my dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment