Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Rolling Stones - Post Show

Whoever said that "Rock and Roll" is for the young, should say it is for the "young at heart."  That was exactly what I felt I attended the Rolling Stones show here in Arlington, TX (Dallas, TX for those of you who like to combine the Metroplex).  Young and old were both rocking out to songs that will always remain classic.

The two times I had been to see the Rolling Stones, I was late.  I missed the opening acts and the beginning of the show.  This time, I made every effort to make sure I was there on time and not miss a single beat.  My plan paid off immensely.

I got to where I needed to park about an hour early.  Once the parking was opened, I got parked and sat in the car for a bit longer.  I knew it was quite warm outside and wanted to make sure I got maximum cooling before my long trek to the stadium.

I got to my gate around 5:45 PM.  The schedule indicated that the gates would open at 6:00 PM, so that should not be very long.  It just felt like forever due to the heat.

The vast group age ranged from 7 to 8 year old all the way to 70 somethings.  It was quite impressive how this band had affected such a diverse group.  I was proud to be part of the crowd.  One couple, who was older than myself, had driven down from Odessa, TX to see the band.  Another couple, probably my age, had driven from Weatherford, TX.  Many others had driven from Austin, San Antonio, and even Houston.  This would be the only Texas stop on the Zip Code tour.

It took awhile before we were allowed past the gates.  It seems that the scanners for the tickets were not working.  I find it difficult to believe that a security staff person would recommend a group walk all the way around the stadium to get in on the other side.  Just the idea of it really made me crazy.  However, that attitude changed when the staff decided just to rip off the tickets, rather than scan.  I had no issue with that, but I needed some water.  I was already drenched in sweat - not my favorite way to be.

Once I was past the gates, I immediately got a tour guide.  As I told a friend of mine at the show, I stopped getting t-shirts because I could never fit into them.  Of course, I remembered, I have a friend who makes quilts and that was something I could have done - have a quilt made of the t-shirts.  I will have to keep that in my back pocket, but the tour guide satisfies my need to have something from the show.

While standing outside waiting to get the tour guide, I could feel blasts of cool air coming from inside the stadium.  I thanked God for that.  I was already melting and my make-up was running down my face.  I have decided that one simply cannot have decent make up and sit out in the Texas heat for any length of time.  It is a total waste.

I went into the stadium and it was overwhelming.  People everywhere and it was so HUGE.  First thing I needed to do, locate where my seat would be.  Second, get something to drink and eat.  Luckily, my seat was close, so not much of a walk to get to it.  Next, a consession stand was nearby and I got a drink and pretezel.  I went back to my seat to observe the stadium and the crowd.

About 8 PM, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals started their part of the show.  I was blown away by the group.  I found myself rocking to every tune - the band played 6 songs and they were very impressive.  The short set list was:

Never Go Back
Hot Summer Night
Ah Mary
Empty Heart
Alive Tonight
Delirious
Medicine
Nothing But The Water I
Paris (Ooh La La)

I highly recommend checking out the band.

During the intermission, I saw my former high school trigonometry teacher and co-worker from my IBM days.  It was so great to reconnect.  The funny thing is that my former teacher had been attending a lot of the same concerts I was attending.  My friend from IBM, this was the first time to see her in almost 25 years - she still looks great and just love her attitude.  I miss people like that - they are fun to work with and make work life enjoyable.

About 9:30 PM, the Rolling Stones took the stage.  Granted, my catalog of Stones music lacks, but I grew up listening to them as my mom was such a huge fan.  So many songs that others are so tired of because they are played so often, like "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", but I never tire of them.  I still jam to them because they are ageless.

The set list for the show was:


Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Let's Spend the Night Together
Tumbling Dice
Doom and Gloom
Bitch
Moonlight Mile
Rocks Off
(by request, preceded by a… more )
Honky Tonk Women
(followed by band introductions)
Before They Make Me Run
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Happy
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Start Me Up
Sympathy for the Devil
Brown Sugar
Encore:
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(with The University of Texas… more )
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

The one song that was left off this list was the band playing George Strait's "All My Ex's Live in Texas".  The crowd went wild over that.  I loved that the band tipped their hat to George Strait and I am not a George Strait fan.

You would think that these guys might slow down a bit, but Mick was running all over the stage.  He is definitely the poster boy for staying in good shape.  Watching Keith, Ron, and Charlie playing, the men were all smiles - they were having a blast playing and the backing band was doing it as well.

I ws blown away by their performance of "Bitch", "Happy", "Midnight Rambler", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy for the Devil", and "You Always Can't Get What You Want."  "Gimme Shelter" has always sent chills down my spine and one song I remember from when I lived in Little Rock, AR back in early 1971.  However, the goosebumps when Mick and Lisa Fischer did the song was all over my body.  I was in awe.

The University of Texas of Arlington choir did such a wonderful job singing on "You Can't Always Get What You Want."  I smiled and cried a bit because my mom would recite that song when there was something I wanted and she knew I had no business having it.

Of course, you just cannot have a Stones concert without the obligatory "I Can't Get No Satisfaction."  It was quite a night.  I walked out of the stadium on such a high.  I did not feel old - I felt like that 25 year old that is locked up in my head.  As I said, the band and music are ageless - it will never grow old only wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment