Monday, June 29, 2015

Trouble With Having OCD...

As a present to myself, I signed up for another Painting With a Twist class.  This time, the painting was a bit more complicated, but for some reason, I was drawn to it.  It was called "Walk in the Garden" and it was really pretty.

When the teacher even tells you that the painting is complicated, that should be a sign.  I was pretty happy with the last painting, but as I look at it, it is not quite as complicated as the one last night.  

Like the last painting, I took pictures of the painting throughout the various stages.  I did that, so that I could separate myself from what I saw before me.  At some point, I just was not happy with what I saw, either in front of me or in the photo.  Leaves on the trees were not large enough, the small stream does not really show up as in the sample painting, and crepe myrtle is not as bushy and pronounced.  Overall, when I look at it, it seems like something I would have painting in elementary school.  

That is where I hate having an OCD behavior.  I want it to look just like the example, but I know in my heart, this is my own handwriting.  My handwriting is different from everyone else, but that is not how my head sees it.

At the start of doing this painting, I was feeling pretty relaxed.  However, as the painting continued, I felt rather rushed to get pieces done.  Maybe 3 hours is not enough time to do this sort of painting justice.  I am not sure.  

So, my take away with this experience - maybe it was too soon for me to take on such a complicated project.  I won't let this deter me from trying again.  I will just try to gradually build up to more complicated paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment