Sunday, January 15, 2017

Should I Go For a Real Change...

In 2006, I learned I had type 2 diabetes the day right before Thanksgiving.  My thoughts regarding the disease was so conflicted - what I could and could not eat, how I should be treated, and so forth.  My PCP at the time not only started me on an oral medication, but she quickly referred me to a Diabetes Education course.  My insurance covered the course and I attended with a friend that lives close to me.  This way, someone close to me would understand what was going on - my parents had been through this when my father was diagnosed with type 2 a year or so before that time.

I got educated in what I could and could not eat.  I made mistakes with thinking I could never have candy and so forth.  Honestly, I can have candy and so forth as long as I planned for it.  I expected people to help me and I found I had to really help myself.

Since that time, a few people in my life have gotten similar diagnoses.  I do not consider myself an expert, but yes, I do have to manage my disease.  I get asked so many questions and usually, my first reaction is:  Did your PCP prescribe you the Diabetes Education course?  In a recent situation, a friend's doctor wants to wait 3 months to send her to class, yet, provides some rather bad advice on what to eat.  

Interesting conversation I had with my counselor regarding people who speak about something that they do not know.  Is it really right for someone to make an assumption regarding how to handle something when it is not really their field of expertise?  No - it is not.  However, with people coming to me for information, maybe I should go back to school and complete a degree in nutrition and work that route.

Right now, I am not a good example of a healthy person.  By NO means.  Then, again, I am the perfect example of a person struggling with themselves.  If you want to lose weight and you have to juggle the carb counting, I say put counting calories on the back burner until you get the hang of the first piece of business.  That was what I did originally when I was diagnosed and I lost 14 lbs - more than anyone else in the room for my education course.  Most of that was probably water, but I would take it for it was worth.

My point here is that I struggle with my battle.  Right now, the battle is going "okay".  I have some good blood fasting values, but I am not losing any weight.  Some of that is due to the amount of insulin I have to take.  With insulin, I fight a battle to get the fat off.  Makes one wonder why, but that is how it is.

I analyze what I eat.  For example, I had two toaster waffles, 2 eggs scrambled, 2 sausage patties, milk, and less than 1/4 of maple syrup.  However, I ate it so quickly because I was dealing with a blood sugar drop, that I ended up going back for an apple and some orange juice.  That part is not so good.  However, if I were to eat a similar breakfast, without the waffles, I would have been fine.  In fact, I would have been full.  So, the question for me is - was that because of the low blood sugar or just the fact that I was woofing down my food.  The former, I know is a huge issue with me.  I am trying to eat in 20+ minute intervals.  I think I need to add drinking 16 oz of water to help with the hunger.

As I stated, I am no nutritional expert.  I know what I was told to do, but honestly, that is specific to me.  Some information I have, it is available on the internet.  I will suggest something, but I would rather prefer if people would not come back to me with excuses of why they do not want to do it.  It is really your choice - you asked for advice - take it or leave it.  I do not want to have a debate about it.

So, that might be my downside for creating a support group and so forth.  Everyone is different.  None of us were built from a factory, so none of us are perfect.  We all have wonderful and some troubling imperfections, but that is what makes us all beautiful in the world - our individualism.  Keep that in mind when asking for advice - what works for me, may not work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment