Friday, January 20, 2017

Upgraded FitBit from Charge to Charge 2...

I recently recharged my FitBit Charge to see where I was activity wise.  How much was I truly walking?  Nutshell, I was getting about 3500 steps on average.  Since I sit a lot for my work, that makes some sense.  I need to get up and walk about more simply because if I sit for a long period of time, my joints hurt so badly when I initially stand and take a few steps.  I dislike this aging process.

So, last week, I decided to upgrade my FitBit to the latest version - the FitBit Charge 2.  I do not need the higher end versions, so this one works perfect for me.  This week, I am going to put the new FitBit to the test.

Since I am essentially starting over - as my dietician put it "New Year, New You", I have lowered my step goal down from 10,000 to 5,000 steps.  If I can do 5,000 steps a day, then I am half way towards to the suggested goal of 10,000 steps.  

With the crazy weather, the arthritis in my back and knee are really providing a lot of challenges.  However, I need to get past those challenges and get to moving.  My thoughts are that if I move more, then after sitting for 45 minutes, I should be able to get up a lot easier than I do currently.  Also, build up the strength I have lost over the past close to 3 years.  

I had reached out to my personal trainer, but quite honestly, after the situation with my back and how it brought me down, I feel that she does not wish to work with me.  Perhaps, it unnerves her for whatever reason.  I do not blame her for what happened.  Things happen and I have no real justification to say it was her fault.  I just need some help.  So, maybe I should look at an alternative.  My complex does not have any recumbent bikes.  Also, I want to check with work to locate a gym with a pool and that my company has a discount program.  This way, when walking is just not working out for me, I can ride the bike for my exercise.  I have also located my Yoga DVD for heavy individuals, so I would like to work with that and the exercises I did for my back with physical therapy.  Take time to build up my core and endurance.  In the process, I would hope that some weight would come off of this frame.

Time to get started on that process!  In the meantime, I am evaluating this new FitBit.  One thing I will say right off the bat - I may need to turn off the text messaging.  It is one thing for on the phone, but quite another on my wrist.  Too funny - I need to truly sit down and evaluate how much I need some of these Twitter notifications.

(Update:  Really loving the new FitBit Charge 2 - it has helped me refocus on what I can do, even when I have back and knee pain!)

No comments:

Post a Comment