Saturday, September 29, 2018

Let's Try This Again - Health Update...

This week, I saw my counselor, dietician, and orthopedic. My counselor gave me the hard news - she has to leave the practice as her husband has as new job out of state. That makes me sad. I feel I have a lot of trust built up with her and now, I have to start all over with someone new.

As for my dietician, I gained about 2.2 lbs. Last month, I gained 4 lbs., so total of 6.2 lbs. Not happy with that, but stuff going on in my life has not been the best. I was not journaling myself to keep myself accountable for what I was eating/drinking. I have a new journal that I have started. The previous one was completed, so I did achieve that goal - completing one journal. Now, I need to work on completing this journal with the information regarding my lifestyle change.

My current goal is to get under 300 lbs by end of the year. This is an feasible goal and I know I can accomplish it. After that, the next goal is to get to under 250 by mid-year next year. I still feel that is feasible. At that point, I will report back on how I am feeling, especially in regards to my back, knee, and leg pain. The pain really detracts me from doing any sort of low-impact exercise. However, I am going to try to do "something" that gets my heart rate up and burns fat. I am doing this for me - no one else. That is the most important part.

Now, as for my orthopedic, he renewed my prescriptions, but he still seems to regard me in some disgust. I am offended that he still keeps harping on my weight and that I should lose weight. The reason for my offense is that I have already lost 28 lbs since December 2017 and this guy's practice does not even weigh me. So, to act like I am doing nothing is really offensive to me. Furthermore, he just won't do much to help with the pain. That is all I am asking for him to do is find something that will reduce the pain, so I can just walk without the pain.

You know, I still have a herniated disc and that is not going to heal itself overnight. When I walk or stand for awhile, the pinching pain in my back is tremendous. It is not fun. When I sit or lie down, the pain goes away. Oddly enough, when it is really nasty, the movement of sitting down can be so excruciating, then once seated, the pain slowly goes away. So, I know many doctors will be judgemental regarding overweight patients. However, that attitude does not help the patient. In some cases, shaming them makes the problem worse and that is a real problem.

I am planning on looking into what orthopedics my insurance company will cover and look for someone else. I will even discuss it with my PCP, who has been very supportive of me. Even my OB-GYN is very supportive of me with this journey. She will tell you - weight loss is not going to make your problems go away. In fact, it may cause other issues. That is a hard truth that no one discusses. It may help some of your health issues go away, but the rest of it, if you have self-conscious or anxiety issues, losing the weight may not help that. That is why I have also engaged a counselor. Help me through the changes and get me through those areas that trigger bad habits.

I did order my Pandora bracelet last week. While I know I have gained weight, that is fine. I still need to reward myself for having lost the 6 lbs I did in July. So, for October, I can wear the bracelet to remind myself - "You lost 6 lbs - you got this and can do it again!" That will help me mentally to stay on track along with journaling to keep me accountable.

Lesson - you can follow all sorts of diets, but bottom line, you have to make a "lifestyle" change if you want to keep things permanent. 

Next update in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment