Monday, September 17, 2018

Allo! Returning From the Great Beyond...

Holy cow! It has been almost a year since I have provided a proper update here. I apologize, but life has been so insane. Hoping that I am able to turn some of the things around in my life and provide more regular updates.

This will be a short update at this time. Sort of a funny one, actually.

For awhile, I had gotten kicked out of my home "office" for a number of reasons. Mostly, it had become a junk room and in March I had to clear out a lot of that. I have started to turn some of this stuff around by moving my personal and work laptops back into my home office area. 

What actually really motivated me, other than the junk clean out was the fact that the 19" monitor I was using at my dining room table finally gave out. It just was no longer going to display anything anymore. I thought it was the KVM switch, so I could switch between the two systems. By disconnecting from the switch and connecting directly to the laptops, the truth was that the poor monitor just was no good anymore.

I will have to take it and another monitor over to Best Buy and perform a quaint funeral service by dropping them off for recycling. They were good monitors.

I got extremely lucky and found a 32" monitor on sale about the same time. It had DVI, HDMI, and VGA connectors in the back. Rather than using the KVM switch, I have connected the Linux server I built a few years ago to use the monitor in VGA mode. My personal laptop is connected using the HDMI cable. All I have to do to switch between systems is press the button on the monitor.

However, the more tricky piece is the keyboard/mouse that is connected. I may have to get two separate keyboard/mouse combos, but I am taking my time and checking my options. I have another monitor that I plan on connected my work laptop using the VGA connector and my Raspberry PI on the HDMI connector.

It is nice to be back in my office area to be honest. I spent many a night in this room, either doing homework for university courses I was taking or simply doing work. I have a really nice chair that my parents got me and it is pretty spacious. I prefer working in this room than in the living room/dining room area. I just want to be able to separate everything and be able to walk away from work to relax more.

I will update all of you in the next few days on my health and some of the changes I have had to make.

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment