Saturday, September 29, 2018

Arrgh - Got Killed Again...

A LONG time ago, I purchased a game called "Half Life." Sci-Fi game based upon an accidental experiment gone wrong. The lead character has to fight against mutants in order to get help for the scientists and security guards left in the Black Mesa site.

I never got all the way through the game. I was trying to play when I first got the game, but when you share the main computer system in the living room, you did not get a lot of time on the computer. When I moved out of my parents' home and into my own apartment, I would spend time playing the game while listening to audio books. Unfortunately, the laptop I was playing on would lock up a lot.

When I purchased my current Dell laptop, I found I was not able to play the game no more. It would hang up when I attempted to put on my suit at the very beginning of the game. I was really upset over that because I had wanted this to be my new gaming system. However, I was unable to play the game that I wanted to finish.

A few years ago, I found that I could play the same on the Steam servers. Graphics were just fabulous and there was good speed in playing the game. Problem was that I never seemed to have time to just play video games.

Recently, I have reclaimed my home office again. I have the systems set up to work to my advantage. I have looked at playing Fortnite, but seems that my system is not up to handling that game just yet. The poor system got so hot that it shut itself down when I was trying to understand how to play. I was really worried that I had screwed up the system so badly that I could not recover. Luckily, I turned on my small desk fan and I keep it blowing on the system to keep it cool. I will have to purchase an air board to keep the laptop cool.

So, this past week, I started playing around with Half-Life again. I went through the "Training" program, first. I remembered a lot of my trouble areas, but I did manage to get better and remember how to pass the various tests.

I started playing the real game. I remind myself that when I get to certain parts of the game, I need to save that moment, so that when my character dies, I can come back to that spot to continue. 

I find myself getting excited when the mutants sneak up on my character. I feel proud of myself to getting my character to obliterate the various nasty mutants. It has been fun. However, I know that I am not playing the game quite right. I need to read through the walk-thru to make sure I am picking up what I need.

I will say, it has been really nice to start playing a game just to get away from the daily stress. I will play SimCity BuildIt on my iPhone, but what is involved in that game is trying to keep your Sims happy while you build your city and do the trade to help get more revenue for your city. A lot of the time, it is planning on what materials I need to have in order to complete the requests. So, I will set certain pieces to build and come back in about an hour to see how much has been completed.

The frustrating part of SimCity BuildIt has been trying to build the requests within the alloted time.  For example, I have a cargo plane that will take off in 8 hours - it is impossible to grow 10 ears of corn in that time frame because it takes 54 minutes to complete growing the corn. The game does provide a hint of the three items each cargo plane and ship will require, but at this point, I have to fulfill requests for 3 cargo plans (UK, Japan, and France) as well as requests for the cargo ship. It can be quite a problem if one needs 5 ears of corn and another needs 12.

Still, I am glad to have this stress relief. I just finished playing another section of Half-Life. When I got killed for the last time, I just laughed. My character fell to his death because I was trying to jump on to an elevator platform before the head crabs got me. I missed the platform.  I am still laughing - sad, but oh, well, I will come back to it and do better next time.

I watched someone playing "Super Seducer" on Twitch the other day. That is an interesting game because it shows live actors in certain situations where the guy is trying to seduce the girl. At certain points, the game stops and asks you to choose what would be the next move. 

There are some obvious good choices, but there are always the really bad choices. It is funny, yet, cringy to watch the bad choices. The fun part is when you make the selection and after that section completes, the actors explain why that was a good or bad choice. I was impressed with that game.

Got to have fun - the video games help!

No comments:

Post a Comment