Sunday, July 31, 2011

Time to reflect...

On Saturday, my father took an earlier flight to come home from his sister's funeral.  Seems like there was a lot of chaos surrounding when my aunt would actually have a funeral or not.  I know that there was a viewing before she was cremated.  In hindsight, I wish I had done the same with my own mother.  Not really to have a huge viewing, but we had flown her sister, Rita, down the day she died.  (Actually, we had gotten the ticket for her in hopes that she would have been here before mom died.) 

When my mother died, the hospice nurse called the funeral home to come pick mom up that night.  For me, they waited until I got to the house so that I could see my mom one last time.  My aunt never got that chance and for that, I feel awful.  We tried to get something set up for my aunt to see my mom, but nothing could be done.

My father told me of how the children argued over who got what.  My father returned with two pictures:  One of my father, mother,and I taken when I was 3 and my senior picture.  I have read on FB where my aunt tells one of my cousins that she was my aunt Phyllis' favorite.  I don't think I am anyone's favorite mainly because I just do not go down to South Louisiana much.  Most of my life has been spent apart from relatives and unfortunately, there is not much of a connection.  Do not get me wrong, I love going down there and seeing everyone.  That is always great, but it also feels a bit strained at times.  That is really no one's fault.

The one thing I was happy to hear was that my father got to see some old friends while he was there.  He was there to help and such, but there were times where not much was going on, so he got to see his friend he reconnected with via Classmates.com.  There was another friend he had that he had not seen since he was 12.  He spent time at that friend's grocery store/cafe, talking and eating boudin.  He even got to spend some more time with his closest friend from high school and his wife.  That made me happy because if anything good comes of FB and other social media is the reconnection to old friends.  He really enjoyed getting to see these people and all I could think was from sadness came all of this happiness.  I was happy for him.

My week has not been so great, but I am trudging through it.  My blood sugar is slowing going down, but not fast enough.  Luckily, I have stopped topping over 400 and being close to 500 to being in the low 300's to upper 200's.  I have to keep focusing on getting better.

I guess my father had no idea how bad things were with my health.  I had taken my blood sugar after taking the dogs out at 6:30 AM and it was 295.  I figured the brownie the night before had something to do with that.  Dinner, I was pretty sure I was under the carb mark.  I took my blood sugar check again at 10:45 AM and it was 211.  Of course, I still haven't had anything to eat, but about to start determining what I should eat for lunch, snacks and dinner.  I need to get some fresh veggies from the grocery store as well as more fruit.

I am making a better effort to get more fruit and veggies into my diet.  For some reason, I am really craving broccoli.  When ordering from the local Chinese take-out, I ordered two dishes with broccoli.  I am also thinking of putting together a fresh veggie baggie for me to snack on when it is that time.  It used to be that I would pop in either baby carrots and/or grape tomatoes.  Now, I think I may add bell peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower to the mix.  Also, I have fixed roasted veggies and eaten them with roasted chicken - YUMMO. 

My biggest pitfall is that I keep running into a rut, meal-wise.  I mean, sure, roasted chicken is great, but I cannot have it every night.  I plan on gathering up all of my Cooking Light and Diabetic Living magazines and checking out what recipes sound/look good.  I need to cook more for myself and quit going out to pick up something for dinner. 

Last night, I cooked turkey sausage, mac and cheese, and broccoli and cheese.  The sausage was 10g of carbs, mac and cheese was Bob Evans mini at 22 g of carbs, and the broccoli and cheese was 10 g of carbs.  That should have covered my allocated 45 g of carbs at dinner.  It was delicious and reminded me of when mom would cook sausage, so it was comforting in that aspect.  However, it also helped me to understand that I can cook with sausage and turkey sausage is not really that bad.  At least, I did not feel as bloated.  :-)

This week may be a bit painful - I have to get through my two on-line courses, I have been a really rotten student this semester, so I am just glad that these are continuing education courses and do not cost $$$$.

No comments:

Post a Comment