Saturday, September 21, 2013

Never Ashamed of The Tears...

Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight - Live
Depeche Mode - Precious - Live

Last night was my third time to see Depeche Mode perform.  I am not sure if what happened to me last night was due to hormones, stress, or what.  I had previously been frustrated with work, worried about the swelling around my feet, then dealing with the doctor's visit that morning.  Getting to the concert was my escape from everything.

I got to the concert a good hour before the opening band would start.  I was quite happy about that because after driving down to the "Fair Grounds" area is stressful enough.  Against my own better judgement, I bought a tour t-shirt, rubber bracelet, and tour program.  I always get a tour program if I can.  I usually put the ticket into the tour program and I can go back and revisit those memories.

I giggled at the kids getting their picture taken at the VEVO stand.  It was very funny - the kids put on these funky sun glasses and get their picture taken with a huge poster of the band as the backdrop.  I generally looked around and smiled when I saw the Fuzzy's Taco stand in the middle of the concession area.  With the little bit of drizzle going on, I headed into the venue.

I had a decent seat, but not what I really expected.  I was on the end, but that was fine.  Soon, a couple came and sat next to me.  They were friends, Matthew and Chris.  They had been friends for 17 years and they attended all of the Depeche Mode concerts.  I love it when I get to sit next to friendly people.  I had to agree with Chris - we all come here because we have a mutual love for the band and their music.  Why do we need to be nasty to one another?  Both kept me in stitches.

The opening band was Crystal Castles.  I had heard the band name with something else, but I had not really looked into the band.  I would describe their music as "Trance Dance Music".  It has a dark, eerie beat, but it stays with you.  My only problem was I could never really discern the vocalist's voice.  I think she sang through a synth as well, so that disguised her voice.  I have been considering purchasing a few of their records with one of my iTunes cards.

Around 8:30 PM, the opening act completed their set and we waited for the headliner to get their equipment set up.  In the meantime, I went and grabbed a corn dog and soft drink.  I had not had anything to eat since noon,  so I could feel my blood sugar starting to make me jittery.

I got back to my seat and continued talking with Matt and Chris as well as people watching.  I smiled at the girl who had the 1940's hairstyle, with hot pants, 7" platform heels, black t-shirt, and a purse with spikes on it.  She was all over the place - I suppose looking for a way to get back stage.  I hate how some guys take advantage of that, but it is what it is.

At 9 PM, the band came on stage and started the show.  It was a powerful entrance and everyone was on their feet.  I was able to get close to the stage to get some video clips.  Unfortunately, my old iPhone 3GS has a crap camera.  I know - time to upgrade and I will.  I am just going to wait for the hysteria over the iPhone 5S to die down a bit.

The two links I posted above were two songs that actually brought tears to my eyes.  Oddly enough, I found I was not alone.  The first link is with Martin Gore singing "But Not Tonight."  That song is one of my very favorites from the band and that was the first time I had ever heard it performed.  What was bringing tears to my eyes was that whole audience was singing the lyrics so loudly back to Martin.  Also, the lyrics matched the weather.  It had been raining for most of the day and it was still sprinkling that evening.  However, in some instances, you could see a full moon shining.  The whole thing worked on so many levels.

"Precious" is another of my favorites.  I had seen the band perform this song live and read that Martin had written it regarding his children and what they had to endure while his wife and he were going through a divorce.  With the backdrop of the dogs, the song took on a whole different meaning to me.  I had read somewhere that this person would photograph dogs before they were euthanized at a pound.  So, hearing "My God, what have we done to you..." tore me apart.

Another amazing backdrop was during "Enjoy the Silence."  There are about 5 women in the pretzel form pressed against a plexiglass.  At first glance, you figure it might be a picture until you see one of the women blink her eyes.  Very weird.  All I could think was - Damn - that had to be uncomfortable!

The rest of the show was amazing for me.  I love the band and their music.  I always get a kick out of watching Dave Gahan dance about the stage.  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Depeche Mode and as their song says "Just Can't Get Enough" of them.

Funny story about that last song.  I remember when Old Navy used it for their commercials a year or so before my mom died.  My mom kept tapping her foot to the song when the commercial played.  Finally, she asked me what it was.  I told her it was an old song from 1981 or 1982 and I had it.  She had never heard it, so I put on her iPod.  I would catch her playing it from time to time.  It always made her smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment