Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday...

The retailers call the day after Thanksgiving, "Black Friday" due to the sales that are supposed to put their accounts into the "black".  In the past, when I was young and truly stupid, I would say I would get up early to be with the shopper hoards.  Unfortunately, due to my love of sleep, I would never get up and go out for that mess.

Today, I am too old and tired to mess with that business.  First of all, whatever is on sale is in limited quantities.  Next, you have to fight your fellow shoppers to get something.  Good grief - what is the point of that?  Now, there is the violence factor that we all must consider.  I am just glad to be at the point where whatever they have on sale, I really do not need or have a desire to have.

Making Thanksgiving dinner was exhausting, but in the end, the process was worth it.  I have plenty of leftovers and it was nice to have something to remind me of my mom.  I took comfort in that.

I finished watching the Cowboy game, then watched Despicable Me 2.  As I was watching the movie, I wondered why I enjoyed it so much.  What was the appeal of a cartoon to me?  Was I just that immature?  I do not think that is the case. 

We all watch various shows for that ability of "escape".  More or less - if one was reading a book, there is the ability to "escape" there was well.  Movies and TV - well, that is the lazier version, isn't it?  :-)

With the cartoons, you get the same basic message, but I love how the characters make fun of the same things I find funny.  The minions in the movie always crack me up.  No real language to how they speak other than the occasional word like "Banana", "potato", and etc.  However, their mannerisms make me laugh.  It allows me to forget my worries and concerns for awhile.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving.  Be careful out there today with the crowds.  I will be going out later, but not to shop.  It's GAME DAY!  I need to cheer on the Dallas Stars to beat the Chicago Blackhawks. 

I am very glad I decided to be a season ticket holder for a sporting game.  I have learned so much about hockey that I did not know.  Also, I love the feeling of community amongst the fans.  You know, it is one thing to go to a concert to enjoy a performer's work.  However, with the sporting event, there is this sense of community among the season ticket holders.  You get to know your neighbor and everyone says "Hi!" to one another.  It has been a very interesting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment