Sunday, June 30, 2013

Getting Out There and Doing It...

Yesterday, I gathered up my courage and headed out to my father's neighborhood pool.  Yes, I was very self-conscious about how I looked in my bathing suit.  I felt like a white whale in a dark green bathing dress.  It started to sprinkle outside once I was in the car heading to the pool.  Looking at the sky, I figured it was something only very brief.  I was right on that one.

No one was in the pool - bonus points for someone already nervous to be there.  As I began my descent into the pool, the water felt initially cool, but very welcoming.  Memories of when I used to get into a pool came rushing back to me.  Pretty soon, I was swimming across the pool - from one end to the other.

While the pool is not a very "big" pool, I felt winded after a couple of laps.  I would lie on my back and let my arms guide me to the side of the pool.  I tried to go under water a few times, but without goggles and a nose plug, that was not working.  Still, I just swam and swam.  A small family came to the pool, but mainly stayed in the shallow end due to their young son.

I kept swimming in the pool until my fingers were wrinkled.  That actually worked for me because it took an hour for that to happen.  What I came to find out later in the day, I have one heck of a sun burn on my shoulders and heat rash on my shin area.  Time to moisturize and look for something to kill the burn.  Still, I want to go back - even more so since I got some swimming goggles after the swim.

As I was preparing to head over to Fort Worth, I realized how much I was the "Queen of Misplaced Things."  I could not find the crown that came off last weekend, my fitbit, or my gambling money.  In the end, I found the first two and figure the third is somewhere in the apartment.  However, I hate it when that happens.

Because I figured I missplaced my fitbit, I picked up a FitBit Flex.  This device not only tracks your steps, but it also tracks your sleep patterns. I wore it last night and was amazed by the level detail the bracelet got on my sleeping.  I went to bed at 2:30 AM and woke up at 8:28 AM.  The Flex showed where I had woken up 4 times.  Also, even though I was in bed for 5 Hr 58 Min, I only got 3 Hr 40 Min of actual sleep.  Man, small wonder I am so tired!!!  My sleep efficiency is about 74%.  That was amazing data to receive.

I continue to try hard to log what I eat.  Every day, I am always over my limit.  I never thought that this part would be easy - it never is in the beginning.  The focus is just to do it.  The data will be completely enlightening and helpful in figuring out where my pitfalls are.

The FitBit is definitely a very interesting device to use for these lifestyle changes.  I am still wearing my FitBit Zip because I like seeing how many steps I have made.  The Flex does not show this data.  That is a downside to the device.  Still, it is encouraging for changing one's life.  If you happen to be competitive, there are badges to achieve and you can keep up with your other friends.  I am not competitive.  I only want to focus on my goals.  If I get too wrapped up in trying to beat someone, I miss out on my personal goals.  That is more important - focusing on me.

After watching Tour De France, I wonder about getting a bike.  I think I will give it some thought and research, but not going out to buy one outright just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment