Monday, June 10, 2013

Slow Recovery...

Pulling all-nighters for whatever reason is a physical strain.  As I have gotten older, I have noticed that it takes me longer to recover than when I was in high school/college.  It is almost as if you got wasted and your reflexes are not so "hot."

I made the mistake of going to get coffee and breakfast before heading to bed yesterday.  As I tried to enter my apartment complex, the key FOB was not signaling the gate to open.  As I tried to go in after someone came out, I did not put my brakes on quickly enough.  My car pushed the gates off of their rails and the gate made a loud sound. 

It was not one of my better moments.

Luckily, there was no damage to the gates or my car.  The maintenance guy got a ladder and put the gates back on the rails.  He said no damage was done and all was well.  In fact, he told me about someone who had hit the brick columns, so this was no big deal.

Well, it was no big deal to him, but it was a big deal to me.  I was thankful it was not damaged, but it left me really worrying about what I had done.  I had not had any drugs or alcohol, but with lack of sleep, I did something really stupid.  (Not that I don't do stupid things when I am alert, but that is beside the point)

I did manage to grab a few winks of sleep yesterday, but I felt really drained all day.  That is why I hate pulling all-nighters.  I hate the drain it puts on my body.

As part of my own personal rehabilitation - basically, getting more exercise into my routine and cracking down on calories - I bought the Fit Aria scale.  It is part of the FitBit program and will measure weight, BMI, and other data.  I also bought a small iPod Nano and an arm band for carrying it.  I am pretty impressed with how the consideration was made for creating a place to put a key.  I am working on putting all of this together in order to start getting some of this weight off. 

When I was talking with Random Cathy about when we have "crashes" during the day - the ones where your body feels like it has no more energy - I had suggested a snack of peanut butter and some fiber fruit like apples.  As I was walking the dogs yesterday, some other suggestions came to mind.  Try eating some almonds for protein to get you over that "crash".  Edamae is another good source of protein as well.  I have some frozen edamae that I am going to steam and lightly salt for a snack today.  I plan on bringing my lunch because I know exactly what is there - nothing out of the ordinary.

By the way, on the almond front, if you crave chocolate or a touch of sweet, there are cocoa dusted almonds along with toffee and coconut flavored.  Definitely a new kick to plain old almonds.  Planters had an olive oil and sea salt package that I just loved.  That helps getting over those low energy moments.

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

you learn what you do.

If you worry a lot, then day after day you are learning how to worry even better. If you think about doing something a lot, then you are learning how to think about doing. Every moment you are happy, you are learning how to be even happier. Every time you act, you are learning how to take an action even better. What is it that you've been learning today? What is it that you want to learn tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. I bought something weird. Powdered peanut butter at sprouts. It is high protein and low fat. Also bought high protein bread, but did I remember to pack it for work...

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete