Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reasons to Attend a Reunion...

For the better part of a year, I have spent a lot of time and energy working on my high school class's 30th reunion.  I will admit, there have been a lot of times where I said "Next time, pass - this is just too much."

When I take time to sit back and reflect, I realize that what is going on is all due to everyone wanting to make sure that those who attend have a great time.  You cannot fault anyone for that - it is all well-meaning and in the end, you can see that genuinely, they want to have a good time and it be shared by all.

I got a bit wrapped up with the negative vibes.  Many classmates do not want to attend for so many reasons.  The vanity reasons always cause me to wonder.  Those classmates who do not wish to attend because they either did not get that fabulous job, their life is a shambles, gained too much weight, or hair loss.

First of all, my life did not turn out as I had wanted.  Reality is like that, actually.  Sometimes, the things you dream of are not right for you.  Also, it may have been great in the beginning, but due to changes, it was no longer what you desired.  You can only change what you can change and work around those areas that you cannot change. 

Second, I was overweight when I was in high school and unfortunately, gained more weight in the past 30 years.  I do not like it, but it is me.  I can change it, but it won't happen overnight.  That is an unreasonable expectation and a very unhealthy one.

Third, my job is not exactly where I wanted to be in life.  I have had my share of set backs and so forth.  However, I have reached the point in my life where my job does not define me.  I work to live, not live to work.

For my classmates, I do not care if your life did not turn out as you wanted.  That is not important.  You gained a lot of weight or experienced hair loss - so what - that is part of mother nature and does not change who you are.  You did not get that fabulous job you expected to have at this point - that is okay, too.

What really matters is YOU.  You - you are still with us.  You are still a part of this world and you are here.  The other stuff is fluff.  If a situation in your life is not perfect, then maybe you might run into someone who might be able to help you change that.  

I will say this much - I have no need for judgmental people attending a reunion.  No one likes the upmanship attitude.  If you attend a reunion, you do it to connect with people you have not seen in years.  You are truly interested in how they are, what they are doing and get that reconnect.

For my high school reunion, it is my hope that everyone has a wonderful time and walks away saying "That was great!  I cannot wait to do it again in another 5/10 years."

No comments:

Post a Comment