Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Fat Shaming...

Yes, I am overweight.  I freely admit it because it is true.  In fact, the medical profession would label me as morbidly obese.  I am trying to work on my weight and the whole deal is a process.  Do I imagine myself as being model thin?  No - I just want to be healthy.  That is all. 

All my life, I have had to deal with every hurtful word said to me about my weight and so forth.  It is my battle to fight every day of my life.  Others in this world have to deal with different battles.  Why is it that as a culture we cannot show a little kindness and compassion?

All of these feelings were brought to me when I saw the following article on a posting from Cyberdust.

Lilly Pulitzer - Fat Drawings 

Pretty damn sad to leave those drawings there, but there are so many articles that condemn the overweight.  However, what pained me the most were some of the comments left.  Talk about hurtful.  Many showed compassion, but there was an equal amount would like the fat people to die and go away.  

Wow - how can someone be so cold hearted?  

What touched me is that the person who posted the link is fairly well-known.  I stated my feelings regarding that and he responded to me saying "I agree."  I was touched with the response.

When I talk about accepting our imperfections, I mean, you have to love yourself.  If you want to change something, then change it.  Just strive to be happy and healthy.  Do not ever convince yourself that weight loss will change your life.  It may allow you to do things you never were able to do, but that knight on a white horse or princess waiting is not going to save you.  Also, if you do not change the situation around you, losing weight is not going to change that for you, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment