Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Million Questions, But Only Time Will Tell...

I am on week 2 of having started the Sinvisc injections.  I had the first injection last Monday.  Talk about a surprise!  After the orthopedic injected my knee, when I stood, I almost fell.  My knee felt as weak as it did this past Labor Day weekend.  He told me to bend the knee a few times to sort of pump the solution into the knee.  

I limped out of the office in a lot of pain, but no less than I had gone into the office.  I iced my knee and so forth, but there was still a lot of pain with getting up and so forth.  Many nights, I went to bed in such pain that lasted all night that I would end up crying a bit, wondering if I had made, yet, another stupid decision.  A friend who had this injection series done explained to me that it was to be expected.  I would not find relief until either a week after the second or even the third injection.  I just need to be patient.

Everyone asks me so many questions about how my knee is doing.  I have to explain to them that these shots are not immediate relief.  I won't get the benefits until the series has been completed and even after that, I may have to wait a week or two.

Currently, after the second injection, my knee is very stiff with getting up and down.  After walking a bit, I start walking a bit normally.  However, when I sit for too long, it is just a HUGE pain getting up.

After putting on an ice pack specifically for my knee, I noticed was able to get up and down much easier.  I am going to check on both back support as well as a knee support brace for overweight people.  This way, maybe, I can use these to help me get around better.

In the past few weeks, I have started seeing a dietician.  It is time to really look at what and how I am eating.  I am treating the process as a reboot from what I was taught when I went through Diabetes Education in 2006/2007.  The dietician believes that the nutritionist was very strict, maybe too strict, so that could be a reason why I fail at the lifestyle change.  Nutshell, she believes that when one makes small changes, those are easier to do and small changes tend to stay with you rather than overwhelming large changes.

So, I am going to work on that aspect of my life and get some of the weight off of this frame by changing my lifestyle to fit a better me.  My hope is that by getting the weight off and keeping it off, then that will allow me to go back to a somewhat normal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment