Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Worst is Over...For Now...

I made it through the cortisone shot in my back on Monday.  The only real pain I had to deal with, other than my aching knee, was the IV in my hand.  I really hate that.  

When the one doctor put in the medication to put me under, it was freezing cold.  I remember saying something about it, then I was out.  The next thing I remember was hearing two nurses making decisions regarding lunch.  I opened my eyes and found that rather than laying on my stomach, I was, now, laying on my back.  

I am grateful for my friend, Laurie, who drove and picked me up from the procedure.  As a "Thank You", I got her a dozen cupcakes from Smallcakes as well as paying for lunch after the procedure.  I realized that it was taking away from her day, but I was truly thankful that she was there.

How do I feel after the procedure?  Over all, I am feeling good.  My biggest issue is my knee and as I knew, that shot was not going to fix that issue.  I have to return back to my orthopedic and we discuss the other option he had suggested.  

I am probably addicted to hydrocodone, but I do not want to think I am.  I do look for feeling that "buzz" because that it is my only indication that the medication is taking effect in my system.  Sometimes, I do not feel it and that makes me feel that the medication is not taking effect.  However, I am not just grabbing another dose of the medication.  If I miss my dose, I rough it out until the next time I should take a dose.

The positive points I can take away from this - I am very glad that I selected to pay more for better medical insurance this year.  I was wavering, but decided in the long run, it would benefit me to go for the "gold" level.  Probably the very best decision I have made lately.  At this point, I have met my deductible and now, I am only paying 10%.  I am about $1600 from meeting my maximum deductible.  Once I hit that, medications and so forth will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Grateful for my friends, Laurie and Sharon.  Laurie, I have known for 20 years and her helping me out in this situation was really a blessing.  My best friend, Sharon, has offered her help with assisting me on doing some clean up in my apartment.  I seriously hate asking for help, but at the same time, it is really hard on me to do much right now.  She has known me for over 30 years and I can depend on her to help me clear this clutter and get the apartment to the point where I can hire someone to help me keep it in shape.  Also, it will give us an opportunity to visit and talk while we work.  This time will be easier because it is my "junk" and not my mom's house, where neither of us knew what to do with some of the stuff.

I hope that this journey will lead me to find a pain-free life and I can do something in return for these two friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment