Sunday, March 6, 2016

Tiny Homes Versus Recreational Vehicle...

Do not ask me how or why I got caught up on watching so many HGTV shows on renovation.  It just happened.  I am mesmerized by the visions that the designers have and how they implement it.  The parts that I cannot wrap my head around are always about problems in the renovation, such as electrical and plumbing issues.  

I have watched a couple of episodes of "Tiny Houses".  I think it is cool that many of them build their own tiny homes.  The young girl just outside of Dallas built her own tiny home with the help of her father and some friends.  

The house is adorable, but the one piece that I felt was missing was where was the bathroom?  She had it built on a trailer that could be pulled by a truck.  Her father was well-versed with materials and helped her build the house using sturdy, yet lightweight materials.  Just recently, I saw a couple convert the inside of a school bus into a home.  Watching that episode made me wonder - what really makes it a "Tiny Home"?

For as long as I have been alive, I have seen recreational vehicles.  Nutshell, they are a home on wheels used to travel.  I get that and have no issue with it.  However, when you convert a school bus inside to be your home, it is still a bus.  I mean, companies make huge tour buses with similar set ups.  Of course, those cost hundreds of thousands or even a few million dollars, but they are buses.  On the positive note, the couple only spent $22,000 fixing up the bus.

I think that small homes are a great idea for those who wish to live simply.  I have seen some pretty incredible tiny homes built with some very innovative ideas.  Going back to the girl building her own tiny home with her father.  She designed her staircase to be a spiral staircase that could also function like faux bookshelves.  She pulled a string and the staircase steps would come away from the bookshelves and form a spiral staircase.  It was very cool to see.

One couple created a bench seat.  Using storage bins, the couple were able to convert the bench, using cushions, from a love seat, to a single bed, to a lounger, and to a queen bed.  Another couple set up their office under their bed, so when the bed was lifted up, the desk and such would set up correctly.

As one woman stated, everything in a tiny house has to serve multiple tasks.  If an idea for anything, even frames, could not service multiple tasks, then the couple could not use it.  I think that the people who specialize in organization would love setting up the spaces for these tiny homes.  Also, for those people who are really into a minimal lifestyle, these homes would be perfect for that.

I will say that I am for building tiny homes for the homeless to help them get a job and get back on their feet.  With the weather being so bitter cold, the tiny homes would help.  However, I also know that the poor  homes would be under appreciated.  

I remember a young man building a tiny home for this homeless woman.  He was helping her out.  The only problem was that the house had to be moved off the street during certain times, but even the police officers thought the tiny home was a great idea.

Maybe, cities will consider areas for tiny homes.  However, they would probably be considered like mobile home parks.  Who knows, maybe manufactured homes will come back into style?

No comments:

Post a Comment