Saturday, April 23, 2016

Dietician Check Up - One Month Visit #1...

One thing to keep in mind here, the dietician is there for accountability.  I realized the other day that this was better than visiting the doctor every month.  I spend 30 minutes discussing current eating habits, have I noticed when I had overeating triggers, exercise, and how to manage other issues involving food.  Basically, therapy for those of us with eating issues.  The counselor is part of this combination to help me with anxiety and other personal issues.  

Wednesday was my return visit to see the dietician after a month.  I have been working on drinking more water, making better food choices, noting when I do binge and what I binge, and logging what went into my mouth.  My initial visit, I was so bloated and the scale even showed that.  I was still a bit nervous that I only had a 2 pound change.

To my surprise, I had lost 6.6 lbs since my last visit.  Yay!  I realize that part of that weight loss was probably the bloating/swelling, but I will take it.

I felt relief that I had not felt in quite some time.  I actually felt like - I can do it this time and I will.

I went over how I tried to get the 10 minutes of walking done, but mainly, I focused on my food intake.  With the back and knee pain as well as getting the Sinvisc injections, walking for myself was just something I could not do.  I am doing physical therapy 2 times a week, so I do get in about 5 minutes on the bike.  I really feel good about that because I am cycling faster than I had been in October.  Before the knee pain, I was pedaling about 5.8 to 6.2 MPH.  Once the pain hit and I had issues with the knee, I was pedaling down to 3.5 MPH.  I barely could get up to 4.0 MPH due to the knee pain.  Now, I am back up to pedaling about 5.2 MPH.  I will take that any day.

It encourages me to look for a portable bike pedal system that I can use in the apartment.  I am looking at that as a cost saving piece.  It is in the house, but won't be as expensive as a real stationary bike and save me on gym membership fees.  Still, I am mulling all of this over - I want to make the right decision.  But, the fact that I can ride a bike makes it easier for me to turn to that for my exercise.  

Overall, during this visit, the dietician and I went over the pie graph and addressed areas where I needed improvement.  Also, discussed how to handle eating out, which I do well, but I have my moments where I just want something I probably should not eat.  However, that is okay.  Just keep in mind to do it in moderation - do not eat the whole plate.  Get a to-go box when you get the entree and divide up - out of sight, out if mind.  Also, make sure to drink an entire glass of water before eating.  This does a lot of me - ensures I get my water needs met, allows me to feel full while eating, so I won't eat as much.  All bonuses.  (I did that last night while at Olive Garden with a friend for dinner.  Drank one large glass of water before dinner, ate a good bit of salad, then only about a quarter of my entree.  I was pretty full - the point where I felt I was waddling back to the car.)

I have another month to work on the small changes and keep myself in check.  I may not lose as much as I did this time.  However, I will take any loss I can get, however small it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment