Saturday, April 2, 2016

Nine Years Ago Today...

As I reflect on this today, I still find it difficult to believe.  Nine years ago today, I adopted a funky blue merle pomeranian who was originally called "Bo-Bo".  I changed his name to just "Bo" because "Bo-Bo" was reserved for when he was being a clown.  

All my life, dogs have been there in some form or fashion.  For the longest time, I loved them, but maybe too much because the dogs would move away from me.  Not Bo.  He could not get enough of his new "mama."  

I took Bo to my parents' house the day I got him to introduce him to my parents and Chloe.  To say Chloe was not happy about Bo is an understatement.  She let me know right there and then she was none too pleased about this new dog in the house.

My mother was concerned for Bo's well-being.  The poor little guy was underweight.  He was maybe 1.5 to 2 years old and only weighed 8.6 lbs.  You could feel inbetween his ribs.  Let's make this situation worse by the fact he had darn near every kind of worm, except heart worms in his system.  I had been promised he had been de-wormed, but that was a load of garbage.

He was a sickly little guy.  I tried to get him dog food that he could eat, but that was difficult to do.  Whatever went inside came right back out.  By Wednesday of that week, I finally took him to Chloe's vet, Dr. Welch, and asked her to check him.  That was when I learned of the worms, which made me ill, and he had an intestinal infection due to all of that.  Also, since his pancreas was not helping him absorb the nutrients, he needed pancrezyme to help.  I had been given pills, but Dr. Welch stated that the pills did not work so well - the powder formula proved to be better, so I got some of that.  Bo got his shots and we were on our way.

Before, Bo was just not in a good mood.  He was sick.  By the time we got home that day, the little guy's fiesty side began to show.  He tried to chase a bunny and attacked a stuff toy in the apartment.  Also, he refused to sleep alone in his crate.  Bo slept in my arms on the sofa that night.  When I woke up, he was belly up, which told me that he felt safe and secure with me.  That is probably the greatest honor to ever have - knowing that an animal feels safe with you.

Even today, Bo follows me everywhere.  He never likes to be far away from me.  When we are outside, he is my little protector.  At night, he sleeps at the foot of the bed to make sure he alerts me of any strangers.  Bo is my special little guy.  I had prayed for a man in my life and I got Bo.  That is what makes him so special - he is mine and I am his human.  His spot in my heart is very deep.  That is how much I just love this little guy.

Happy Adoption Day to you, Bo!

No comments:

Post a Comment