Saturday, April 23, 2016

Keeping the Little Grey Cells Active...

I realize I have a certain amount of ADHD/OCD and sometimes, that seems to prohibit me from completing some tasks.  For example, signing up for free computer programming courses, then by the second to third week, I am already so behind that there is no way to catch up.  Why?  Probably because I want to make 100% all of the time - nothing else is acceptable.  It should all be perfect.

Well, I need to squash that concept and realize that nothing in this world is perfect, not even my scores.  I want to learn, but I must force myself NOT to get caught up in that crazed world I used to live in when I was a teenager.  Sometimes, we make mistakes and the purpose for mistakes is to learn from them.  Understanding why you do path B vs path A.

I have signed up for a few computer language courses, but they are at self-pace.  I recently signed up for a College Algebra course.  Why?  Well, I have noticed that when I did take math courses in the past, I could sit down and work on them to pass the time.  Yes, nerdy as all get out, but I am not on a computer.  I spent a majority of my day in front of a computer, but doing math homework, I can sit in bed or on the sofa while watching TV and work out a problem.  Sometimes, I will go back over a problem just to make sure I understand the methodology behind the resolution.

On edx.org, the College Algebra course I am auditing is interesting.  You have to write out all of the equations.  For example, you cannot just assume (x+7)(x-3) is as you read it.  It must be written out in this format:  (x+7)*(x-3).  Okay - no problem.

However, since I am auditing the course, I won't have to deal with the headaches associated with taking the final exam.  You see, you have to have a really strong internet connection when it comes time to take the final exam.  The expectation is that you have a web cam available, you may not use any notes, other web sites than specified, or have someone there to help you.  Basically, they are going to monitor over the internet as if you were in a class room with a proctor.

How is that for using advanced technology!

That totally freaked me out, but at the same time, I understood the need to do this.  So, I will let you know how this course goes, but wow, I am glad I am auditing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment