Friday, April 15, 2016

Going to Be a Long, Hard Road Ahead...

This week, I started going to physical therapy.  My orthopedic ordered 4 to 6 weeks of PT for 2 to 3 times a week.  Right now, working on just 2 times a week.  

The first session was simply evaluating where I was - knee range and so forth.  Also, it was the day my back hurt like crazy.  I felt I could not stand straight and even bending down for relief was not helping.

My second session was doing various exercises to build up the quad and other muscles around the knee.  Make those muscles stronger to help with keeping the knee pain down.  I also got help with doing piniforis stretching.  I had to have the help.  If I did not weight what I do now, I could have probably accomplished that.  Unfortunately, my girth prevented me, but one of the physical therapists helped me.

I actually like going to this physical therapy group.  Everyone is very nice and non-judgemental.  A lot like my personal trainer - I feel that they are there to help me, not bring me down.

I managed to ride the recumbant bike and get a speed of 5.2 mph.  Before the initial knee issues, I was able to do 6.2 mph.  Once my knee started having a lot of pain, I was lucky to reach 4.0 mph because it hurt so bad.  This actually gave me hope.  While I only did about 5 minutes and there was some discomfort, I thought - I can actually do this!  Perhaps, there is a glimmer of hope for losing weight after all.  I have been working hard to eat properly, but the past week has been a stressful one.  I will discuss those issues with my counselor, though.

Today, my legs are so very sore.  I am sure tomorrow, it will be better, but I need to remind myself that I need to do my part.  That is - do those exercises at least 2 times a day when I am not in the therapy office.  I also need to remember, I have a long road a head of me for both recovery and weight loss.  I am already frustrated with my weight, but I have got to get this wrapped around my head.  I am just not going to lose it overnight.

I get more frustrated at trying to eat properly, then I run in to the low blood sugar drops.  While I mainly drink a lot of water or Vitamin Water Zero, or unsweet iced tea, I have to drink some sodas to help pull up the blood sugar.  On the other hand, I have watched my morning blood sugar numbers stay between 120-140, so that is a HUGE bonus.

I have a lot of work ahead of me.  I just hope not to lose faith in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment