Sunday, April 10, 2016

Techno Joy...

Anyone that knows me understands that I am probably the "Queen of Misplaced Items."  I try hard to put things, like keys, in one place, but every once in awhile, life gets in the way and I put them where they are not easily located.

I had seen Tile ads on Facebook for a few years.  I thought it was a great idea, but I had not actually gone through purchasing one.  Until yesterday afternoon.

I was at Best Buy to get a cable that would convert an HDMI connection to fit either a VGA or DVI.  Before I even got to where the cables were located, I came across the Tile display and I was already curious.  Pricing was decent - $24.99 for one and $69.99 for a package of 4.  I did not catch the price for 8, but I did not need that many...at least, not now.

Downloading the Tile application was a bit of a pain.  It took several times from the Apple App Store to finally get the app downloaded to my phone.  Once the app was downloaded, the software steps you through creating an account, then setting up your first tile.  You press on the "e" on the actual Tile and via Bluetooth, the connection is made and the Tile is activated.

The tile can be located via map or by pressing a button on the app to "Find" the tile.  The little tile will get the message and start ringing a tune.  The tune will continue to ring until you press the "Found" button on the app.  I like that feature because I have lost one of the wireless handsets for my landline and that "Find me" tune only lasts a minute.  That only aggravates me when I am trying to find it.  

Also, each tile can be individually located.  Even better in my book!  Looking for the same phone handset is a HUGE pain in the butt because when I attempt to find one handset, I have all of them making a noise.  This way, if I have multiple tiles, I can locate only one, rather than having all of them ringing at the same time.

As you can see, I have already put a Tile on my house keys.  I will also put a Tile on my car key.  I would put both on the same keychain, but the gate opener has to be available for opening the complex gate.

I am also considering putting a Tile in my medicine bag.  It is a real pain trying to find one's medication when you do not know if you took it out of the purse or book bag.  Looking forward to this new techno gadget working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment