Friday, March 15, 2013

Who Am I Becoming?

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

to find out who you are becoming find stories that move your heart.

Just like a seed has an image of the tree in it, so does your heart have an image of who you are becoming. Look for stories in movies and books that resonate in your heart, and you will find glimpses of your possible futures. What is your favorite story?

I have so many favorite stories.  As a young girl, I enjoyed reading Caddie Woodlawn.  I cannot remember how many times I read that book over and over in elementary school.  There was another book I read with a couple of kids traveling across the country in the early 1800's.  Reading those books threw me back into the past.

As I got older, for some reason, Nazi Germany fascinated me.  I would read a lot of books about Hitler, the SS, and the Holocaust.  My fascination stemmed from how could one person engage so many people to do such horrors.  Diary of Anne Frank was so haunting and I think that is where my curiosity stemmed.  I felt so much sadness for this young girl who had been my age and suffered so much.

In high school, I think the book that probably should not have been introduced to a group of fresh-faced freshmen was The Outsiders.  The book is not without its own merit, but seeing how everyone got sucked into the storyline and began carving out the cliques was the start of something sad.  People who had been friends since elementary school began to split from their friendships due to someone being a "soc" vs "greaser."  

The Scarlet Letter.  I read it in high school.  I read it again in college, then based my term paper on the main character.  What we sacrifice for "love."

John Steinbeck books were another favorite of mine to read when I was in high school.  Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row were among the ones I loved to read.

I did less reading as I got older.  Sure, I read Silence of the Lambs, James Patterson novels, and even Fifty Shades of Grey.  I have to say, for the last book, if you remove the "sex", it is basically a "Cinderella" story.  I felt that the last book in the series actually built up more mystery that really kept me engaged.

With movies, I related to Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty In Pink.  The movies covered how teenagers like myself were growing up and communicating with one another.  How we handled the difficult situations.

I mentioned this the other day.  The two movies that touches me personally are Working Girl and Jumping Jack FlashWorking Girl - I was able to relate to Melanie Griffin's character in just trying to break into the corporate world.  Trying not to be the slug, but the "idea" person.  Taking an idea and trying to develop it and hoping to get the support of your management.  Reality is sometimes that happens and more often than not, it does not happen.

Jumping Jack Flash.  What can I say?  I always wanted to be the fun-loving computer geek that everyone loved, but there was no one for that person.  Heck - that is me to a point.  I do not necessarily get along with management because management does not always take me seriously.  I had a lot of toys and such on my desk just to make that I had a good attitude - it was fun to be there.  I do not have as many "toys" and my desk is much cleaner these days.  However, that person who does a lot for those around her is still there.

I bought Jack Kerouac paper back and audio books.  For whatever reason, I wanted to be a beatnik and loved going to Borders to just read and hang out.

In the romance area, my favorite movies have been When Harry Met Sally, French Kiss, and Must Love Dogs.  I will say, even though I love looking at Gerard Butler, P.S. I Love You makes me cry.  I love French Kiss the most because it would be so typical to have someone, then that person leaves you for someone else.  Go on this long goose chase with someone and realize, what was the point?  The person you really love is right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment