Tuesday, September 20, 2016

"Drama" Does Not Just Affect Facebook and Twitter...

I admit - I am a make up junkie.  I was looking around the apartment and I find so many odds and ends that are beauty based and it is quite insane.  (Hence my upcoming purge to get rid of stale and old products.)  I also realize I tend to be the worst "shopaholic" you have ever come across when it comes to buying make up or any beauty type products.  I get it in my head - "I will do this and it will be so cool", then for whatever reason, it all falls apart.  So, for a very long time, I would buy and never wear what I bought.  It is a problem I recognize about myself and currently working on correcting.  Main reason why I started joining subscription services - get testers and decide if the products are worth the money.

Another idea that I thought made a lot of sense was watching YouTube beauty videos.  WOW!  There are so many videos that give tutorials on how to do your eyebrows to providing a drag queen look.  Some are very helpful and others are, well, less than helpful.  Over the past month, I came to the realization regarding how many people running the make up counters at our favorite department stores have discussed:  These people are cut-throat and catty.  I have found more drama here than just the personal drama friends post on Facebook.

The part that is really funny is that there are actual "Make-up guru gossip correspondents" that create content to discuss who is hating on who, who got a collab with a major cosmetic corporation, and so forth.  For one such person, it is pretty much gossip tea-time.  The part that is rather pissy is he will sit there and about to say something, then give some bullshit about "Oh, I cannot tell that.  I made a promise that if it is not on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or YouTube, I cannot tell you."  All of these people edit their content, how about editing this obvious bullshit slip up?  Probably because he is trying to fish more people to his channel.  That is why I call them "Gossip columnists".  I do not care for if, so I move along - but I will call bullshit on doing that sort of thing.

My honest opinion, beware of those gurus who just slap on some product and tell you it is the best thing ever.  That is not anywhere near the kind of product review I want.  I want to hear how well did the product handle, is there anything I need to be aware of, what is the quality of the ingredients, did you experience an allergic reaction, and so forth. 

The YouTube beauty people I follow for straight-up tutorials are Chrisspy and MadeYewLook.  Both ladies show outstanding artistic abilities on applying makeup to achieve a particular look.  That means, not only taking a palette and showing you a look you can create for yourself, but creating other personas to use for Halloween or Comic-con type places.  I originally watched MadeYewLook do various make up applications after watching her series of YouTube videos regarding diabetes - she has type 1.  I was blown away by her artistic skill.  The same came from Chrisspy after watching her do a few Halloween looks, then her look collaboration with MAC on the Star Trek 50th anniversary collection.  She did a fabulous job recreating the various female character looks.

I have watched others, but I feel that they are working too hard to promote product.  That turns me off because I get tired of hearing "Oh Mi Gosh!", "I love sparkle", and so forth.  Being a rather mature woman, "sparkle" is past my prime.  Then, again, I do my reality check and realize, I am no longer 25 years old and they are.

My other very favorite YouTube vlogger to watch is Stephanie Nicole.  If Consumer Reports were to have a make up review section, this woman would be the head editor - I kid you not!  She does not miss a beat, either.  I watched one woman from Kentucky and I grew tired of her knocking products because they did not work for me - meaning that the collection or what have you did not have the colors that she likes.  Stephanie leaves the emotion at the door or until the end of her reviews.  She will show you her standard set up before application, do check-ins to show how well the product is working out, provide ingredient listings, cost break down comparisons, and straight constructive information regarding the product.  If there is any sort of feeling about the product, company, and any controversy, that is all saved at the end.  Also, all of her opinions are backed by facts and she clearly does her homework by providing links to back herself up.  I mean, if I were to ask her opinion or watch her video, she gives it to you with no bullshit and that I can truly respect.  I highly recommend her channel because she does the reviews with NO strings attached - she buys the products out of her own pocket and reviews them.  That way, there is no way anyone can claim that she is biased, which I love.  Even for products that she loves, if the company screws up something, she calls them out and even states her own disappointment.  You have to admit, that takes guts and again, I respect that.

YouTube is full of great videos as well as trash.  You always have to take the bad with the good.  However, as I always tell people, if you have thought about it, someone else has as well and they probably created a YouTube video to do it.  So, if you are into looking for a new look, there is plenty of content out there.  Just beware of those vloggers looking to create "drama."  

No comments:

Post a Comment