Thursday, September 22, 2016

Moving From Beauty YouTube Videos to Bullet Journal...

Okay - I have spent a better part of August and September farting around watching beauty videos.  Total time waste, I know.  Still, you have to be interested in "How in the hell did they do that cut crease?" or "I want to make my eyebrows stand out, yet, I do not want the drag queen look - how can I make them look natural?"  You know you thought it.  I will just be brave to say it out loud...and for the Drag Queens - that is no diss on you, ladies.  That works for you, so you go girl.  I just cannot have no eyebrows at 8 AM and have huge eyebrows at 9 AM.  Makes no sense.

So, what is my real first world problem these days, other than my spelling errors?  With the various doctor appointments and so forth, I had a planner that I kept for reminding myself of what all was going on.  I spent time having to incorporate appointments not only into my phone, but also my work phone and calendar.  After awhile, it was overwhelming.

This past year, due to my clutter problem, I ended up with two planners.  You know how it is, you know you bought it, but you cannot find it, so you buy another one and boom!  Guess what pops up?!  I used one for work and the other for personal and health.  Mistake.  Overload on input basically and the system broke down after about 7-8 months.  (If you know me, that was pretty damn good!  Usually, I give up the mess within 2 weeks).

I learned about the Bullet Journal from two people - Random Cathy and my other friend, Stefanie Harvey.  I have known about it for quite some time and have even toyed with doing it.  However, as bohoberry has pointed out, I obviously have a fear of starting.  It is the whole "Well, I am not very artistic/artsy-craftsy - my creations usually look like - well, garbage.  However, I do not want to mess up this beautifully bound moleskin notebook."  Point is - you have to make mistakes in order to learn.  I know this so very well.

I did do some searches on Bullet Journals, other than the obvious choice.  I think I am intimidated by how some of the women have really put a LOT of effort into their journals.  They are literally works of art!  Seriously, if I were them, I would be proud.

I have gone to bohoberry.com and been viewing the Bullet Journal series.  I need to just ignore all of the artistic things she has developed and devote my time to how I want my layout to work.  That is the whole beauty of Bullet Journaling - you can make it fit your needs and not someone else's (even though we might want to steal others ideas.)

I think the other fabulous suggestion is to get a cheap notebook and use that as your diving board, so to speak.  That way, you can make mistakes as you go along and the beauty of that is you are working out the kinks.  I feel I might want to use a notebook similar to the ones that Container Store used to carry - they were called Myndology.  I love these notebooks because they allowed you to easily detach the pages and move them to other sections in the notebook.  Rather than a wired spine, it uses 12 discs, so you can just gently pull the sheet of paper out of the notebook, then replace it.  I have to order these notebooks from their website since Container Store no longer carries them - bummer.

No matter how I cut it, having an analog planner works for me.  When I do write things down, I remember them much better than just leaving it stuck in my mind.  I will see about working on the bullet journal this weekend - probably stick with plain jane and see if I can add sparkle later...even though my artistic side lacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment