Thursday, September 22, 2016

Giving From the Heart...

I did something that many may consider a little stupid.  Sometimes, I do the stupid things to make myself feel better, or at least, try to feel better.  I realize I moan and groan about my back issues.  I just get tired of being in pain all of the time.  However, I also realize that some people have it worse off than myself.

I was reminded of that today, so that was why I did something pretty stupid.  

Back in 2009, I friended a group of women who I knew when I attended Kiroli Elementary in West Monroe, LA.  I was bullied a lot there, but I also had a lot of friends who stood up for me.  One girl had left pretty nasty bruises on both my arms from hitting me all of the time.  When I got in touch with her years later via Classmates.com, she apologized to me for being so mean and how much she had liked me.  Odd - when I had to leave and move to Texas, that first year in 7th grade, I lost quite a bit of weight.  When I ran in the gym and almost caught up to one of the fast basketball girls, I remembered hearing one of them say "Man, she is fast for a fat girl."  I thought my friend would have been proud because she was the athletic type - always playing softball and such.  I envied her for her ability and was always sad of my lack.

Anyway, I came across another friend.  She was nice to me.  She was one of the pretty girls I knew in elementary school - she was popular.  I guess when I left, I had no idea how the junior high and high school I would have attended changed people.  Today, this particular girl looks like she has been through a lot in her life.  Other elementary school friends mentioned that she got involved with the wrong people and so forth.  I think we all know people that we cared about that have gone through that ordeal.  

My friend continues to have a difficult life.  She works hard, but deals with so much.  Not too long ago, she found someone, fell in love, and they got married.  I was very happy for her.  Seemed like her life was taking a better turn for her.  Then, the bottom dropped.

She started having a lot of medical issues.  Come to find out, she has stage 4-5 liver cirrohsis (my spelling sucks - sorry).  She lost her job, now, she has issues with her husband, who has  kicked her out of their home.  

I have been sitting here dealing with my mom and the ever bubbling up of issues there as well as crap with work.  Here, I have a friend who probably feels like she is drowning and needs help.  She had set up a GoFundMe account and I contributed a bit more money than I should have.  Not because it is just lying around, but I truly felt for her and maybe, in some way, I can lighten her load.  

There are plenty of people who need money to help get by in this life.  A lot of the time, I just do not have it to contribute.  This time, I have some and my friend is in a world of hurt.  I might be taken advantage of with this, but this is on my terms.  I gave to her what I could, but I probably won't be able to do so next time.  So my prayers for her is to use the money wisely to get back on her feet, find a safe place to stay, and try to sort out going on the right path.

I should feel good, but I don't and I am not sure why.  That is where my problem lies.  I did what I was supposed to do - give with no strings attached - no expectations.  Maybe I would have felt better if I lived in Louisiana and could have provided her a place to stay and so forth.  I don't know.  

All I know is what I said and I truly believe this - I just wanted to help her get back on her feet a bit.  Life has been hard for her.  Maybe for what little time she has left, she might be able to ease her mind of her worries.  I just hope I was able to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment