Saturday, September 24, 2016

Internet or PC?

My current Dell Inspiron was purchased in 2009.  I am a huge believer in that if I spent a good deal of money on something, it better damn well last.  This computer still have Windows 7 and currently have no plans to upgrade the OS.

The machine has had its issues over the years.  The first Dell I bought for myself in 2001 would lock up so much that it was pretty much stinking worthless.  Tech support was basically no support.  In 2006, I bought a Toshiba laptop while I was taking a course at UTD.  Man - that machine was da bomb!  It rarely had an issue and never skipped a beat.  However, I went back to Dell and got this laptop.

Over the years, the laptop has developed a similar tendency, but not with the frequency, of locking up over nothing.  Some times, I have to reboot the laptop about 3 to 4 times for the performance to get better.

As of late, I have noticed that my internet connectivity is really sucking - BAD.  Right now, I have two Firefox tabs opened and they have been spinning away to access their perspective sites for the past 5 to 10 minutes.  I am more than annoyed.

This has been going on for the past week.  A couple of months ago, I increased the internet speed, so I find this behavior very unacceptable.  I have rebooted the laptop several times.  I tried downloading software that was supposed to speed up the internet speed - that was a no go.

I am almost ready to find the portable drive, do a back up, crater the laptop of everything on it, then start fresh.  I feel that the issue is something within the system itself since the problem is accessing the internet.  Of course, what good is a computer if you cannot access the internet.

The other thing I am going to do is see how well my iPad and MacBook Pro are responding.  I feel that my iPhone and iPod Touch are seeing issues with internet access as well.  I know my speed test showed that I was not getting the 200 Mb download speeds I was promised.  Therefore, it is time to figure out what the issue is.

Man - I am so annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment