Saturday, December 24, 2016

Bittersweet Christmas Eve...

This year, Christmas Eve will be very bittersweet.  Last year, I went to the movies to see the latest Star Wars movie.  I had plans to meet with my dear friend, Vickie, for dinner at Estilio Gaucho.  When I got home, I would be greeted by my sweet dogs, Bo and Chloe, go for a walk, then after they finished eating, huddle into bed for the evening.

Vickie passed away in June and Chloe passed away earlier this month.  This year, I will be going to dinner alone.  

I am not afraid of going to dinner alone.  I will just imagine that Vickie is sitting across from me and going on about the woman who demanded a bunch of packages wrapped and she only gave her $2 for her work.  Every year, Vickie would work at the Barnes and Noble bookstore at Northwest Highway, across from NorthPark mall, wrapping packages for donations to her cat rescue.  Some people were generous and others would aggravate her to her very core.  I will miss that.

I will miss Chloe's smiling face and wet kisses to let me know she missed me.  I already miss the bitchy barks when I am not doing what I need to be doing.  I know Bo misses her terribly.  I take him with me just about every time I go out to run errands.  I do not like leaving him by himself too much.  At night, I try to get him to lie close to me, so that I can leave my hand on him - let him know, I love him and we are going to be all right.  It would be what Chloe would have wanted.

The Christmas right before my mother passed away was very bleak.  I had managed to get some presents for my father and something for my mother.  I had gotten her a razor to shave the hair from her chin and an angel that held a charm saying "Mom."  I have the angel sitting in front of my mom's ashes in my living room.  Mom and the "boys" (BJ and Stormy) overlook the living room.  I need to bring Chloe into the living room, but she is in my bedroom at this time.  I am in search of a display case for her paw print and a picture of her.

My prayers are that everyone has a wonderful Christmas and remember those not with you fondly.  Think of the good times and recount the funny.  I will be doing the same today and tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment