Saturday, December 24, 2016

Missing Packages: Postal Service on Notice...

I realize that I have been on some sort of on-line shopping bender for a few months.  I blame my recent obsession with watching beauty YouTube channels and thinking "I so need this!"  I would search Sephora and Ulta for products and find that the stores were out of the products, so I would have to go on-line and order. 

The other side of that spending bender was that I also subscribed to various beauty subscription services.  I had already been subscribed as a Julep Maven and have tons of nail polish from them.  Starting sometime in August, I subscribed to Ipsy.  Then, I subscribed to Scentsy, BoxyCharm, FabFitFun, and Candy Club.  So, I am receiving quite a bit and feeling like a kid when I get these boxes - always excited for what I am about to receive.

Starting in late November, I had been waiting for a Sephora package.  I had ordered some Beauty Blender products as well as some lip collections.  I began to realize that these items never were delivered.  I searched for the tracking number and found that the package had been rejected and was awaiting pick up at the local UPS store.

What?!  Delivery rejected?  I was at home at the time of the rejection.  I thought, was I in the shower and did not hear the door bell or something?  Usually, Bo and Chloe were excellent in letting me know someone was at the door.  Nada was triggering my mind.

I went to get the package and found that the apartment complex rejected the package because they did not have enough space in their storage closet for everything.  

First, this is a large community in the complex.  A small closet is not going to take care of people starting to order Christmas presents on-line.  Second, why didn't the delivery person just come to the door and deliver?  I was at home and waiting.  It never made much sense, but I got my package.

Over the course of the next 3 weeks, I would find that my packages were being refused delivery and I had to go in search for where they were.  This was simply getting insane when I was already staying close to home to accept these packages.  In fact, I would say that this happened 8 different times.

This last time, I was awaiting my yearly planner and cover from Levenger.  I got my email with my tracking number and noticed the following:

The product is probably put together at a UPS Logistics site, then shipped to another UPS site.  At that point, the package is turned over to USPS for delivery to the customer.  Here is where the situation gets beyond belief.  

So, on Thursday, when I was to receive my package, I waited for delivery.  I left my apartment at 1:30 PM that day to run errands and grab lunch.  I picked up one package from the complex, but it was the Candy Club monthly delivery.  While on my errand run, I checked the status of my tracking number.  "Refused delivery.  Shipping back to sender @ 11:06 AM"

What in the hell?!  I was at home, damn it!  I never got the opportunity to even see the delivery person or package!  This is completely insane.  My thoughts were to quickly wrap up errands and discuss with the apartment complex why they would deny delivery.

When I spoke to the apartment complex management, I was told about how they did not have enough room initially.  I suggested that maybe they should look into using another room or so forth for the holiday season.  Next, the lady explained that the postal service flat out refused to deliver directly to the apartments - statement was that it was not their job.  (At this point, I am livid.)  Furthermore, the post office and the apartment complex were having issues with trying to come to a compromise regarding package delivery.  So now, all packages for any resident were automatically stamped "Refused delivery; shipping back to the sender."

Post office delivery people are out-sourced from a contractor company.  Allow me to say the following that I have observed:  I get someone else's mail quite a bit.  Mail arrives very late in the day.  Most postal delivery people are spending their time talking on their phone every time I see them.  They are worried about being late?

This is the Christmas season - these people should be prepared for the massive amounts of mail to be delivered.  Packages are part of delivering mail and as such, they should be delivered.  If they cannot be delivered to the residence, then at least, put in a notice that the resident can pick up the package at the local post office.  That piece was not being done AT ALL!!!  No note - nothing.

Part of this issue starts with the apartment complex - they need to find another area to store packages - not some small closet.  The other part of the problem lies directly on the postal service's shoulders.  There should be an attempt to deliver packages and if that is not feasible, PUT A NOTE IN THE MAILBOX INDICATING WHERE TO GET THE PACKAGE!!!  That is part of the job!

Needless to say, I left the office more angry than I was going into it.  I decided to start doing some cross tracking on the various tracking numbers.  I discovered this process with my Colourpop order.  I had not received that package and found it was refused delivery.  I got the USPS tracking number, called a 1-800 number, then went through the IVR process to make sure that the package was not sent back to the sender.  I was able to pick it up along with another package from Animal Rescue.

I found the UPS Tracking number and got the USPS tracking number for my Levenger package, then did the same with my BoxyCharm - which was supposed to be delivered to me on 12/10 and I finally get it on 12/23 with effort.

I have emailed the companies that I purchased items requesting information on making sure I can order products and have UPS or FedEx ship directly to my door - no more going through USPS.  I also reported the incident to USPS Postmaster General, Twitter USPS Help account, and contacted a local news channel investigative reports.  Yes, I am that pissed.

BoxyCharm offered to send a replacement package to another address.  I thought that was awfully kind, but I sent them an email indicating it was not necessary since I had been able to get the package.  I feel honesty is the best policy.  I do not want to take advantage of a company due to a situation out of my control.

In the meantime, I am re-evaluating my subscription services and so forth.  The situation with the postal service is insane.  Small wonder why I really do not wish to have more to do with them. 

So, for the rest of you out there, make sure you keep track of your Tracking Numbers and subscribe to the tracking services provided to you.  In some cases, you may have to do the detective work to find your packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment