Sunday, February 10, 2013

Doing the Make-Up Thing...

Make-up for me is like painting a picture.  Your clean face is your canvas.  I use colors depending on what I plan on wearing or mainly, how I feel.  Over the years, I have played around with many different colors.  I figured out certain colors look great on me and others, well, not so much.  Yesterday, I went to the MAC counter for a test drive with the latest collection, Archie's Girls.  This collection is MAC's tribute to The Archies.  (Yes, I am that old to remember the cartoon series on TV and even had the records!)

When I do the make-over thing, I try to let them "play".  First, it is what they are paid to do.  Second, I want to see what they can do with my face.  Many years ago, I had some really great experiences at two such make-overs.  One was Laura Mercier at Neiman Marcus in Fort Worth.  The second one was Trish McEvoy at Nordstrom in the Galleria.  The way I know how well it went - my mom would go on and on about how well the person that did my make up and how pretty I looked.  She was always fond of telling me that when I wore make up, I did a great job playing up my eyes and lips.

I had a interesting experience last night.  I was told I needed false eye lashes.  Okay - I have never done that - EVER.  Unfortunately, I really did not see much difference with the lashes, other than my eyes started watering like crazy.  I think my eyes were affected by the adhesive.  Those ended up coming off of my eyes by the end of the night because I could not, and still cannot, keep my eyes from watering.  So, I might be wary of doing false eyelashes.

Next, the artist worked on my eyes.  She used the purple "Veronica" palette.  I love the colors.  I just think she went too thick on the eyeliner.  I prefer thinner lines because I think that helps bring out the eyes.

One part of working on one's eyes is dealing with the eyebrows.  When I was 14, I started plucking my eyebrows.  One thing that my mom told me that was true - once you start, you cannot stop.  To a certain degree, my eyebrows have become a bit more sparse over the years.  I just do not have to pluck quite so much - just some minor cleaning up.  It was nice to know that my brows were shaped well, so she just filled in what was sparse.  I have a difficult time with that.  I always get a brow color that ends up making me look like a clown.  I hate that.  

The artist did hook me up with a really nice foundation.  I loved the coverage.  As for the blush, part of the "Archie's Girls" collection, I will have to remind myself to use it sparingly.  It would be too easy to get too much color on the cheeks.

The lips were done beautifully.  Even after wearing for awhile, the lip color stayed on and looked good.  As of late, I have noticed that my teeth are yellowing a bit.  I am trying to whiten my teeth as much as I can.  I do not smoke, but I am sure drinking colas, teas, and coffees are not helping my cause. 

My only huge negative I had was that my eyes started watering.  For me, when my eyes start watering, anything that has been done with my eyes goes straight into the toilet.

My next make over is Bobbi Brown next month.  After that, I am done for the year.  I like to see what is possible and get new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment