Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Possibly Good News?

Last night, a friend from work contacted me about a possible job opening.  While I am not always confident about my abilities, I mulled over the idea.  Today, same friend contacted me that the manager wanted to speak to me.  Now, I was really nervous.

When I chatted with the manager, I made it clear what I had been doing the past several years and spoke of the knowledge I had.  Later, I sent him my resume.  The position would not entail the type of work I do now or even in the manner I am expected to do the work.  I would learn many new things and be sent to class to learn various new tools to help me.

While I am being cautious, I am still happy to hear that someone is interested in thinking about interviewing me for a new position.  I probably would not get a pay increase or anything like that.  However, the possibility of lessening the load and being able to actually have a life is a bonus.  I just have to leave the rest in God's hands and pray he will show the way.

There have been some incidents that have occurred the past couple of weeks that have made me very unhappy.  Many have suggested I raise a red flag, but I do not wish to cause more drama.  I just want to get out and do something else.  I am tired of it and just want some peace.

Today's message from God:

Today, we believe God wants you to know that ...

it's important to listen to your gut.

Reason has its place in this world, certainly. But your gut is that subconscious part of yourself that knows exactly what is right for you. And oftentimes God speaks to you through that subtle but true gut feeling.

I seriously believe in this.  Several years ago, I found myself going through some pretty dark times.  My current job was going to end in December and I needed to get another one lined up as soon as possible.  A friend suggested I apply for a job in Temple, TX.  

When I went down there, my mother had been admitted to the hospital due to breathing issues.  I worried about her and getting through the interview.  I spent the entire day taking a psychological exam, then being interviewed by everyone, including the VP.  By the time they were done with me, I raced home as quickly as I could to see my mom at the hospital.  At this point, it was determined she had pneumonia.  

The part where my gut feelings came in:  As much as I needed a new job, there was something about this situation that just did not feel right to me.  It bothered me.  The manager called and started asking me to make a decision.  In the end, I turned down the job offer and my friendship with my friend turned south.  My friend was furious with me for turning down such an offer.  She had spent a lot of time building me up with the executives and it was probably more than I could handle at the time.  I felt really bad, but something was just wrong.

I did manage to get another job within my employer at the time, then move onto a contracting job.  After two years, my friend called me and told me that she was sorry for blowing up at me.  She had moved from Temple back to Irving.  Apparently, the situation was not that great after all with that company.  I apologized to her for not taking the job, but she understood.  I was really surprised that she even offered to help me get on with my current employer.  However, when I got that job offer, I knew deep down in my gut, it was the right choice.

My friend passed away in May 2009.  That March, she was no longer working due to issues with MS, but she was determined to get me out of my current job and get me somewhere else.  We spent hours talking and talking that night after dinner.  I miss her very much, but that just goes to show you - your gut feeling has your best interest at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment