Saturday, February 2, 2013

Weight out of control...

This morning, I got on the scale and had a huge slap in the face.  I weighed 307.4 lbs. 

I got dressed and took the dogs out for their morning walk.  As I was walking, I tried desperately to get a handle on "the" number.  Definitely not a place I want to be.  I thought I was losing weight - apparently NOT. 

As I continued my walk, my thoughts ran through my mind -"What am I doing wrong?  I don't feel I have been 'overeating'." Bottom line, even though I do not like what I weight, right now, it is what it is.  I cannot magically wave a wand and the weight disappear.  Fast weight loss like that would be very unhealthy.

So, as I write this, I am trying to forgive myself for the number.  I made it happen and I can be the one to undo it.  Next, I have got to get up and walk.  I don't mean walking the dogs, either.  Their walk is basically a 20 to 30 minute stroll so that they can do their business - pee, poo, and smell for other dogs' messages.  I am not getting anything out of that.

January is over, so I would imagine the exercise room at the apartment complex has filtered out the resolution keepers from the ones that finally gave up.  Now, I need to start making it a point to go in and walk for 30 minutes a day.  Perhaps, to change up the routine, walk in the Russell Creek park nearby to get fresh air and be alone.  Maybe after I get my bonus, I can spring for a stroller for the dogs.  Stick them in that and just go.  However, let's make sure I am committed to this "good" habit before going down that path.

Another thing I need to make sure I make a good habit of doing - measuring out my food.  It is pretty apparent that I have not been properly watching what I eat.  Now, actually measure out the foods I get.  I don't eyeball food very well.  I know the tricks, but I am probably better off carrying around some measuring cups. 

I think I overeat a lot at lunch time.  Even if I take my own stuff for lunch, I have been preparing way too much.  Again, this goes back to measuring.  Perhaps those Ziplock segregated plastic containers can help me as well.  The containers have 3 areas:  Large area for say chicken, a smaller area for veggies, and an even smaller area for a dessert or starch.  I saw in Prevention magazine where a company had created plates with flowers that should be about the size for protein, vegetables, and carbs.  Interesting concept to help people control their portions.  Unfortunately, I really do not want to spend money on new dishes. 

This month's Prevention magazine centers around "walking".  The main article - Walk Off 10, 20, 30+ Pounds!  Go from sedentary to slim in 12 weeks with this beginner-friendly, breakthrough walking plan - and no dieting!  

Okay - I am not buying the I am going to go from 300+ lbs to some model-like body.  That is unrealistic.  The realistic part for me - MOVE!  I have got to MOVE!  I think using this article for the next 12 weeks should be a good first step for me (pun intended).  Also, I need to work on my portion control.

So, bear with me as I go through this.  My goal right now - drop 10 lbs.  That is all - just drop 10 lbs.  I lose the first 10 lbs, then I will set my next goal for the next 10 lbs.  Small goals will help me reach a larger goal - lower blood sugar, better fitting clothes, more self confidence, and over all well-being. 

Side note - seems like this article is based on the Prevention Book - Walk Your Butt Off!  Want to check it out, here is the link:

walkyourbuttoff.com/feb

No comments:

Post a Comment