Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Little Spring Cleaning...

WARNING:  This blog may contain a huge amount of geekiness.  Just how I roll at times.

As you can see, I have found the font size change - I am just playing around a bit.

Thursday, I decided to allow my inner geek to emerge for a bit.  Business has all of these "buzz" words, so the latest one is "Tech Talk".  I attended such a conference at the Galleria's Westin hotel that morning.  I will say, the road rage animal did appear.  I should know better - driving south on the north toll road is a nightmare and quadrupled by Mother Nature providing rain.

I was a bit late, but luckily, the meeting was not one that I really wanted to attend.  It was regarding a product that VMWare is trying to sell called Horizon 6 - portable desktop.  Nutshell, the product provides users the ability to pull up their work desktops and applications from PCs, Macs, Linux, and iPads. 

For my company, I know they have their money invested in Citrix, but I am not so fond of it.  I liked how this product was presented and its capabilities.  However, it still was not something I was interested in doing.  At the first break, I left and got breakfast/lunch at a restaurant called "The Egg & I".

(I really enjoyed the "Egg-cellent Omelette I had and I have been back again.  Today, I am going to try making an omelette myself.)

When I got home, I started thinking about some of the "spring cleaning" things I need to do.  Not only the stuff around the house, but getting the electronic stuff handled.  My Dell laptop has not been backed up in over 2 years - shame on me!  That had to happen first.

I located the original portable drive I used for doing back ups for this PC.  I cleared it out and started the back up on Friday morning.  The full back up did not complete until yesterday afternoon.  Importantly, I am happy that the PC has been backed up.

My other tech project was reviving my first Toshiba laptop with the recovery CD, getting a virus software installed to protect the machine, then installing some old 32-bit games that I never finished.  Granted, it is an XP system and XP's end of life was April 8th, I really do not care.  I cannot run these games on Windows 7.  I also have some sort of trouble.

The frustrating part has been getting McAfee installed.  For some reason, their systems says that the serial number given to me from the download screen is already in use.  The part that threw me into a huge rage was dealing with customer support.  Rather than listening to my problem and helping me verify the serial number I had written down (never received an email confirming that number as well!), the support guy wanted on my PC to fix it. 

First of all, tech robot has not listened to my problem.  Second, what in the hell is this business of wanting to get on my computer?!  I do not think so!  Third, I really did not appreciate the condescending tone given to me.  At one point, I tried telling him that the software he wanted to use to connect was not working - invalid certificate - three times he asked me if I clicked on "Run".  I did this and same result. 

I finally got fed up and told the guy it was time to end the call.  Heaven forbid!  That was a challenge, so I finally told him - I did not want you on my computer, you won't stop talking to listen to my real question to the problem, and now, you won't listen to know that your customer is furious.  I worked customer support for 8 years and at the time, we did not have any tools to get on a customer's computer.  I had to LISTEN to what the problem was in order to figure out the best way to handle the issue.  I did not immediately take off with trying to get on a customer's computer because I considered the user to be stupid.  I was offended.

I decided to walk away from the issue and get my shopping done.  Yes, I did go buy Norton while I was out because I have been a huge fan of the product and kicking myself for not having bought it in the first place.  After washing my hair, about 15 minutes after the above customer support session, I got a phone call.  It was the tech support's boss wanting to try something else.  I was in no mood and I tried politely to tell him to drop it.  I appreciated that he was trying not to lose a customer, but right how, I was furious regarding the way I was handled and I did not want any further assistance from them.  I was more set up because that call had taken place 15 minutes earlier and the manager tells me the call took place yesterday.  I realize that customer support has been off-shored and the least that the team there could do is really identify what part of the world that they are communicating.

Since that time, I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the software to factory settings yet again.  I am going to go through getting service packs 2 and 3 installed and so forth.  At that point, I might consider installing McAfee one more time, but don't hold your breath.  I realized I did not get the complete security protection when I purchased McAfee.

So, today, I am going to be multi-tasking.  Working on getting the old Toshiba up to speed, cleaning the apartment, fixing a dinner that my mom would have asked for if she was still alive, and spend the evening in honor to my mom.  It is difficult to believe that she has been gone for almost 4.5 years.  This will be the fourth year without her for Mother's Day.  

I miss my mom a lot on days like these.  Some days, I wish I could have one more day to talk to her.  Let her know I am okay, how much I miss her, and ask her about those things that have been bugging me.  I also want to apologize to her for not listening to her regarding a few issues.  She was right and I have been paying for that.

God's Message to Me Today:
 
you've been skipping out on God's most important gift to man - love.

Love is the blood of the soul. God wants all beings to have healthy and strong souls, so God created a simple law to nourish the soul: the more you give love, the more you receive love. Remember all the beings you love - people, animals - that you haven't thought of lately. Do not wait anymore, reconnect with them today and express your love.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment