Saturday, May 3, 2014

Nothing Wrong With Being a Turtle...

When I read about the Prevention Magazine's 28 Day Challenge, several really good points were made in how to handle everything during this challenge.  The more I thought about it, it was very good advice to apply to our own lives:
  • No nasty, negative self-talk, whether you skipped a meal, splurged, or anything
  • Embrace the turtle - it takes time to change.  This statement said a lot to me
"Remember: The only time you can quickly change someone is when they're in diapers. For the  rest of us, change takes time. So let's embrace turtle power and take it slow." -- Kris Carr
  • It is okay to goof off
  • Find that right balance between work and play
  • Learn to listen to your body
The negative self-talk will be the most difficult for me to control.  I have a horrible habit of beating myself up when I screw up - for instance, eating all of the wrong foods for a day or not writing down everything that goes in my mouth.  It is okay NOT to be perfect - it is impossible.  If I were perfect, I would pretty much be a robot.

I get so caught up in wanting to drop the weight quickly that I tend to forget how damaging that can be.  I have to keep reminding myself - you did not get to your current weight overnight and your system could not handle such a drastic change.  Take it slow.  So what if you did not get to Six Flags in May?  First, it will still be there.  Second, you will enjoy the visit that much longer.

Thursday night and last night, I went out for meals.  Thursday night, I was too exhausted after dealing with Bo's physical antics to muster putting anything together for dinner.  I started to crave fried chicken, so I went to Golden Chicken.  The food just did not taste right to me and it made me feel ill.  I actually see this as a bonus - the fact that the food tasted awful reminds me how fast food really is.  Also, the fact that I felt ill reminded me that I am no longer used to truly bad foods.  So, I have NO desire for any fried chicken for quite awhile.

Yesterday, I met friends for lunch at a hole in the wall place called Chitos.  The chips were a bit too salty for me, so I did not eat as much.  I did eat the enchiladas, but not as much rice.  By the time I got home, I was pretty full, but again, I did not feel well.  I felt pretty run down and sluggish.  Another sign of eating poorly.

So, a friend wanted me to go out to eat with her for dinner.  Now, here is where I think I did fairly well.  One thing to remember - I am constantly drinking water, so that is a definite good habit I have gained.  Rather than getting some red meat, I chose the bone-in grilled chicken and rather than garlic mashed potatoes, I asked for a salad.  I did keep the sweet creamed corn because I still need to keep a bit of starch/carb in my diet.  The chicken tasted delicious as did all of the other foods and I walked away not feeling so ill that I needed to lie down when I got home.  Bonus, the waiter gave me a huge 32 oz cup of ice water to go.

So, I have to say, since January, I have noticed when I eat poorly, I get really sick.  When I eat fairly healthy foods, I feel energized and can get through the day.

Today is weekly weigh-in day - 281.1 lbs.  According to FitBit, I have lost 1.3 lbs since last week.  I will take it!  :-)  My BMI showed I had a 0.3% decrease, so that is a bonus.

Last night, Random Cathy texted me that she was reaching 8000 steps.  I was really happy for her.  I got close last night to the same number, but was really tired and fell asleep.  I am going to make the commitment to make sure I get in 30 minutes of walking a day.  It was working when I was dropping the weight a few months ago and I am sure it will work again.  Also, that will help me attain my goal of 10,000 steps a day a lot easier.  :-)

God's Message to Me Today:

 you don't have to be serious to be spiritual.
Laughter is good! Levity is good! When you allow yourself to be joyful, that joy radiates to all those around you. God honors you and your laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment