Saturday, January 3, 2015

Life's Ups and Downs...

Last night, I had the great pleasure of going to the Bishop Arts area of Dallas with Random Cathy.  This was a new adventure for me because I had never been down there and both of us were going to experience a new restaurant.  I loved every moment of it!

When I dropped off Cathy from our wonderful trip, I went to tug on my left earlobe and discovered my earring was not there.  I had been wearing the diamond earrings that my mother gave me money to buy that summer before she passed away.

At the time, it was a funny conversation.  She had noticed I had some smaller diamond studs that I would wear.  She asked about why I was wearing them.  I explained that as much as I loved jewelry, I would often be too rushed to change earrings.  So, if I took earrings out of my ears, then I may not wear any for six months or more.  Well, I found that the pierced holes would close up and it made it more difficult to get an earring back in those holes.  So, to prevent that from happening, I purchased diamond studs that had a screw on back.  I said my goal was to get a 1 CT set of diamond studs.  She wanted me to have a pair before she passed away, so she gave me some money to purchase a pair.  So, these earrings have a lot of special meaning for me.

I admit, I called Cathy to check on if she had noticed I was missing an earring.  I could not possibly figure out where it had come out, but was pretty sure it had been when I was at home.  From this point forward, as I wear earrings, I will start making sure I am still wearing them.

Anyway, I was pretty upset and was driving home.  I called my friend, Vicki, to see how she was doing and if she had made it out of the hospital.  That was where the news became bleak.  She told me that the doctors told her she had cancer in her spine, lungs, and liver.  I was speechless.  I just did not know what to say - what do could I say.  Here I was upset over the earring and her news was so much worse.

I mentioned the earring to my friend and her words were "If you are meant to have it, God will help you find it.  You have to give it up to him.  That is what I am doing about this cancer.  I will fight as much as I can, but I have to give it to God because if I am meant to be here, he will keep me here."

I finally got home and had to run to the bathroom.  I turned to look at the bathtub and there was the diamond earring.  No back, but the diamond part was there.  I quickly grabbed it out of the tub and took off the other earring.  I cleaned the earrings and put them in a small snack bag, so I could take them to Zales.

As I do when I am sad, not sure why, I cried for my friend as I walked the dogs.  She is such a strong person and she was right.  If God wanted me to have that earring, he showed me where it was.  Still I was so incredibly sad for my friend.  She has been through so much the past several years, now, this. 

I gave thanks to God for helping me find the earring, but most importantly, I asked for his help to give comfort to my dear friend during this trying time.  Help her fight this battle and give her strength to win.  I was also thankful for Cathy.  She helped me get out and experience something different.  I felt very blessed for that.

Today, I took the earrings and another set to be fixed to Zales.  I got a new back and the other set were fixed with no charge.  While at Best Buy, a gentleman asked me how I was and if the new year had been good to me.  I said that it had been so far.  He told me that it would be a great year and I needed to believe that and it would be so.  

All of what has transpired has humbled me greatly.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment