Tuesday, January 27, 2015

With a Little Luck...

Since taking a hard look at my finances last week, I have tried working on a spending fast.  I have my downfalls, but similar to my losing weight, I do not spend the day beating myself up over it.  I just dust myself off and get on with it.

I had forgotten I had scheduled a hair cut in advance.  Well, it was for this past Sunday.  I was dreading it because I had not anticipated it.  It actually turned out okay.  I got my hair cut and the stylist gave me $25 off as a late Christmas gift.  I was flattered and thankful.

Next, I wanted to get some make up at the MAC counter.  Luckily, I had a $40 Nordstorm note, so that cut my bill down considerably.  

Last night, I headed over to Watter's Creek Sephora to get an eye shadow palette that I was trying to get right after Christmas.  I had picked up something and when I found out that the store did not have what I wanted, I put back everything.  No point.

Generally speaking, I am trying to remain focused on the apartment by staying home and doing what needs to be done.  As someone pointed out, I can still enjoy the hockey games as those are already paid.  That also goes for the concerts I paid for before Christmas.  So, I am not without entertainment.

As for eating out, I have a $25 off card for Estilio Gaucho.  Next pay period, I will definitely go there for dinner.  I need to use it before 2/13/2015, which stinks, but I will get some money off for that dinner.  I will have to curb most of my eating out and cook more.  I should be able to lose more weight that way as well.  I will know what is in the meals I am preparing and have more money in my pocket.  I realized when I did cook more often, I had kept most of the money I took out from the ATM machine for that pay period.

I went to see the endo for my three month check up.  Good news:  My A1C is down to 7.5.  Not so great news:  My weight was at 300.  I told my trainer and she said I was on the edge of 2's and we will make it so that I never see 3 again.  I will need to do my part to make that happen.  Still, it hurts that all of that work went into the toilet, but maybe this time, I work on eating healthier and quit obsessing.

Another high school friend asked me the other day, if I would be going to see "Ticketstock" this year.  He has plans to go.  I have not been since 2011 and I got called out due to pre-version release issues.  However, I cannot say that the same thing won't happen this year.  Again, both the event and the company release is set for 2/21.  I really would like to go - the show is free and the radio hosts come up with great bits for entertaining the crowd.  That Saturday night, the Old 97s will perform a show for free as well.  I should go.  It will be fun.

Sort of funny - since I do not spend a lot of time on Facebook, I am finding more interesting articles on Twitter.  There was even an article about locating free music events in the Dallas area.  I will need to check these out.  There was also an article regarding the high price for apartment rent.  I have to admit, while the article stated that there was no houses being built in Dallas, there houses being built elsewhere.  What I do agree about is that there is a rampant building for really expensive apartments.  

I moved into my current apartment shortly after it cleared inspection.  Upon reflection, that may have been a bad decision.  I like the apartment a lot, but over the past 10 years, the problem with the leaking vent during the summers is a huge issue.  The maintenance guys never want to fix it - just blame me for being a poor house cleaner - not getting the filters changed.  I have proven time and time again it is not about my house keeping skils or the filters, which I do change every 3 - 4 months.  You can change the filter and nothing changes during the summer - drip, drip, drip.

Next, there are the smoke alarms.  Hugest pain in my ass since the first full month of being in the apartment.  Now, I cannot get anyone to come in and change the batteries in a timely manner because the complex does not see the chirping as an emergency.  Try telling that to Bo and Chloe.  Neither dog is happy about having to deal with that and I end up spending $150-$200 for one night's stay at a hotel.  More if I have to board the dogs the next day.

So, with a little luck, I am going to try this year to set things straight.  I have lived here for 10 years.  My rent has gone up from $949/month to $1103/month.  What am I really getting for that money?  

My next move, God willing, will be to living in a house.  I hope to research some first-time buyers information in the upcoming months.  Find a nice home with a decent backyard for Bo and Chloe.  I feel that if I can get my finances in order, then getting a house will be the next major thing for me to do.  At least, house debt is not considered bad debt.

I am thankful to have a job and very thankful for some of the breaks I have received over the past few days.  I have to keep plowing through everything, but my hope is to be able to get to that point where I feel comfortable.  That is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment