Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcome 2015 - Time to Declutter...

Happy New Year!  I sincerely hope that this new year brings brighter, happier times for everyone!

I thought long and hard about what I wanted to really achieve this coming year.  It all boiled down to one topic:  declutter.

Not just declutter physical items that we can see or touch.  Declutter my mind, heart, and soul.  Realize that it is okay to let go or know when you just cannot do more.

Every article I read regarding clutter indicates how much happier people are with less.  I feel my own life has taken a downward spiral.  I admit, I was never much of a neat freak and my own mother would say I was a terrible housekeeper.  As I look upon that, I feel that my problems stem from too much OCD.  I would spend too much time in one area and neglect others.

So, what do I need to "declutter?"  So many things!  It is not just the physical clutter that needs to be cleared, but also the mental and emotional clutter.  Relationship clutter - letting go of those relationships that are toxic or simply are no longer "relationships."  Mental clutter - ridding myself of negative self-talk and believing the worst in myself.

There is also financial clutter.  Spend time sorting out the necessary needs and work on improving saving efforts.  Work harder at not using credit cards to avoid additional financial burdens.

One of my other goals is to use Facebook to my learning advantage for decluttering.  For example, I started following a page called "Finding Your Time."  This month is January Declutter and already, the page has suggested one thing to do today to help declutter your physical space.  Clear out the food pantry.

Last night, someone paid me a compliment about looking forward to my positive postings on FB.  While I do not figure myself for being a really positive person, that made me cry because I do try.  Through all of the FB garbage I have been through this past two weeks, someone actually noticed I was trying to be positive.  It made me cry because I wish others would see that as well, rather than thinking quite the opposite.

I  have a few other goals for this year that I would like to accomplish.  One for my mom - read Moby Dick by Herman Melville.  She was so disappointed that I never read that book when I was in high school or college.  I have it on my Kindle, so part of my free entertainment will be to read more often.  

Another part of the reading goal is to get an updated list of the 100 books that everyone should read in their lives.  I may not make it through all of the books this year, but it is a fabulous reading list. 

As with every year, work to lose weight and keep it off.  Also, learn to eat healthier and be more active.  Along with that, be happy with myself.  Every person on this earth is different.  Strive not to allow myself to be sucked into thinking all "pretty" people are better than me.  Everyone is the same, but each person has something special about them.  Beauty is skin deep, but the heart can be very ugly.

Last goal - spend more time with the dogs.  This past year, part of my decision not to renew my Stars season tickets really revolved around the dogs.  Chloe is 14 years old and while pomeranians do have a tendency to live to be about 16, I do not have much time with her.  I would rather think I spent my time with her wisely and relish those moments that she is huddled next to me.  

Bo is probably only about 8.5 or 9 years old.  Still, I want to make sure he feels just as loved as Chloe.  I take special care with Chloe because she was my mom's dog and I do love her dearly.  As with children, I want to make sure Bo is not left out in the cold.  I try to spend time with him as well.  I know he is a bit of an attention hound, but he is my special little guy that stole my heart about 8 years ago.

So, this year is devoted to decluttering.  Not just the physical, but the emotional, mental, and financial as well.  Let's all have a great 2015!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment