Sunday, February 8, 2015

Financial - Starting Over With Monitoring...

I think we are always looking for the easiest way to get mundane, repetitive things done.  I have gone from keeping a checkbook, using banking software products, and finally, checking my balance on-line.  I seem to do much better at managing my finances with banking software products.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, I used a Palm device to sync up transactions.  Basically, it was an electronic checkbook, calendar, and note taking device for me.  However, when the "smart phone" age appeared, Quicken had issues with syncing transactions.  Apple was not willing to open up about how its sync process worked.

Since that time, I have tried going back to just using Quicken on the computer, but I always bomb out at the end.  Every reason in the world not to record my transactions or keep the electronic check book balanced.  

Now, Quicken has a fix for the sync-ing issue - using the cloud to help maintain your transactions.  I figured it was time to give it a go.  I have been looking over my 401K and pension plans - basically, trying to figure out how to make more money for retirement.  Also, I am on this spending fast and like with a diet, I have fallen off a couple of times.  Now, I need to really crack down before it goes out of control.

I have installed the software and it downloaded all of my accounts from my bank.  I will still go through all of my accounts and take a monthly look at everything to see how I am doing.  My hope is that as my balances go down, so will my weight.  Sort of funny how to link finances to my weight, but as I cook more and more at home, I should see more of a reduction in both areas.  I won't be going out to eat as much.  Also, I should be eating better.

My plan at this time is to get the Quicken app installed on my iPhone - it's free!.  This way, I can look over what transactions and see where I am.  I really think that this will help me as it had done in the early 2000s.  I paid to see my FICO and was astonished at the number.  Actually, I was pretty ashamed, so I got off my backside, quit using cards, and used cash to pay for dining out as well as paid off various cards with my bonus money.  This year, bonus money is going into a separate account for the pets.  This way, I have an amount set aside for their needs and I am not charging all of the time. 

At the same time, I am still putting away money as part of the cash jar program.  I am also looking to squeeze a little extra money to cover seeing my trainer.  I borrowed some money from my savings account to get 6 weeks of 1 hour training sessions.  Luckily, I only see my trainer for 30 minutes, so that expands the sessions.  Still, my justification for the trainer is that I am seeing positive changes.  Also, this is for my health.  I need to take time out and go into the gym to take a class or just walk/lift weights.  That part I have not been doing.

In the end, the goal is to break down the debt and get it paid.  I got a great deal on the Quicken Deluxe software - normally $80 and got it for $44 and it is the current copy.  So, I start off the year on the right foot - sorting out the financial woes and get healthy financially and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment